Memory leak SF BO with DevExpress ASPxDataGridView

Author
ChanKK
StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi
I hope I didn't defocus you, I need solution on memory leak which happen to ASP.NET XtraReport as well. I am not sure if the same root cause as ASPxGridView.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Same issue, same problem.  When a handler is not released, the object cannot be disposed.  Thus you get a memory leak.  That is why it is so important for all controls to work within the confines of the framework and interfaces used therein.  In this example, the DevExpress controls that use attach to the IEnumerable interface are not releasing the handlers as expected.  Thus, a memory leak.  Again, we will see if there is something we can do to accommodate all 3rd party controls.  But here is one thing that I have already proven.  We can use a Custom BBS and an XtraReport with no memory leak whatsoever.  This is a very common control and combination of tools used by SF users.  Some of our largest users also use the XtraReports within massive applications.  And if they were experiencing memory leaks like you have described, there would be mass chaos. The DevExpress web grid is another story, however, as most people take a different approach, as I have mentioned in previous dealings with your current issue.

Regardless, I would love nothing more than to find a solution on our side so we can get this behind us.
Peter Jones
Peter Jones
StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)
Hi,

We use SF / DX combination for everything and have no problems but we don't use web forms. Anyway that's not why I'm posting. I just wanted to say that I think SF support is simply outstanding. Even though we don't use it much it is really nice to know such support depth is there.

Cheers, Peter
ChanKK
ChanKK
StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)StrataFrame User (248 reputation)
I am totally agree that SF really helpful. 
However, my customer and management want solution. Without that, everything is nothing for them.

Once again, very much appreciated on kindly support
ChanKK
ChanKK
any update?
Thank you
ChanKK
ChanKK
Hi
I have debug and have temporary fix for this issue. I changed code in SF as below. What I tried to do is expose the instance of BusinessBindingSource used by WBBSEnumerator, then on page_unload, dispose it. At this moment, it doesn't solve my issue. I am in the progress to do more detailed testing to see if any impact to data editing inside gridview. Hope it helps SF team to speed up the permanent fix. Thank you

Public Structure WBBSEnumerator
            Implements IEnumerator
            Implements IEnumerable

#Region " Constructors "

''' <summary>
            ''' Initializes a new instance of this Enumerator structure.
            ''' </summary>
            ''' <param name="bo"></param>
            ''' <param name="start"></param>
            ''' <param name="count"></param>
            ''' <remarks></remarks>
            Public Sub New(ByVal bo As BusinessLayer, ByVal start As Integer, ByVal count As Integer)
                Me._BBS = bo.GetEnumerable(True, False)
                Me._BusinessObjectEnumerator = Me._BBS.GetEnumerator()
                Me._CurrentCount = 0
                Me._MaxCount = count
                Me._StartIndex = start
            End Sub

''' More code

Public ReadOnly Property BBS() As BusinessBindingSource
                Get

Return CType(Me._BBS, BusinessBindingSource)
                End Get
            End Property
        End Structure
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...