Security Error with restricted user in Vista or XP

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I have a customer wich have their users with a very restricted rights and the Security Editor form is trying to access the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE in the SaveSizeAndLocation() and this key is not allow for the users.

Here is the Stack, and I am using the latest beta:

UnauthorizedAccessException

Access to the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\MicroFour\Security\Editor\UserEditor' is denied.

Source : mscorlib

Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey, RegistryKeyPermissionCheck permissionCheck, RegistrySecurity registrySecurity)

at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey)

at Microsoft.Win32.Registry.SetValue(String keyName, String valueName, Object value, RegistryValueKind valueKind)

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Win32.RegistryRepository.WriteValue(String KeyPath, String ValueName, Int32 Value)

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.Win32.RegistryRepository.WriteValue(String ValueName, Int32 Value)

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.UI.Windows.Forms.BaseForm.SaveSizeAndLocation()

at MicroFour.StrataFrame.UI.Windows.Forms.BaseForm.OnFormClosing(FormClosingEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.CheckCloseDialog(Boolean closingOnly)

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I have changed all of the keys to HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but to get around this in the interim, simply grant permissions to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microfour folder in the registry.  This is what we generally do to resolve a lot of other issues.  In fact, it is a requirment in our medical software and part of our setup and hardware specifications.  At any rate, I have changed this but the above will give you work arounds for now.

We run all of our sites in a very restricted mode, and this works fine using the above workaround.

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Thanks Trent, I'll see what I can do since I don't have access to this customer network and you know how difficult it could be to convince them that any change will not affect their security.

Is there any ETA on the next beta release that would include this change?

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
The next posted update will have it...if not today, then probably tomorrow (worst case Friday BigGrin).
Edhy Rijo
E
Thanks, appreciate the effort.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...