Allow "Sharing" of parts of the Database

Author
Jim Schepflin
StrataFrame Beginner (25 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (25 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (25 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (25 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (25 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (25 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (25 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (25 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (25 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Our current vision is to have 3 systems, that do slightly different things

Each should be based on some core tables (These are core due to not needing changing between the 3 systems)

Would be nice if I could package the "Core" system along with System1

Would like to be able to Alter/Fix/Adjust the core system in any of the 3 "Specific" systems, then packaging up the "Core" along with one (And only one) of the "Specific" system

So really looking for a way to "Share" the common elements, seems that the Toolkit only will deploy changes made within it. This will require me to go and make the same change 3 times, rather than the "Inherentance" model usable within the business rules.

I could consider creating a seperate DB for "Core" items, but since the Schema / Proc changes are kept outside of SQL server, doesn't seem to allow the sharing there either.

So not sure of best way of doing this (Maybe - Package of packages? Not sure)

As an example, I'm going to create a table w/ an auto-numbering key. Then the reference to the table can be specific to the "Specific" system (System1 calls the key "Customer ID", System2 calls it "Customer", System3 has a 2 part key of "Partner/Facility". All need the same "Core" data, but key structure is slighly different). Plan on having a "Specific" table that provides a relationship between the "Specific" key info and the "Shared" key info.

To add to this fun, each System will have somewhere between 3 and 7 different key possibilities, hope to just need to create a "Link" table per different possibility, and use Business object inherentance to deal with this

So base idea is to have some way of "Sharing" SOME schema between different deployment packages. Ideally would be able to combine multiple "Development" packages into a single "Deployment" package
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Similar to object inheritance, any changes you made to the "core" would then be inherited within the other profiles.  Not a bad idea.  I'll bring it up in the next meeting.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...