Business Objects and Toolbox tabs

Author
Geoff Hirst
StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Guys,

Would it be possible to be able to create any number of VS2008 toolbox tabs and have objects show up in your own tabs? Great example here, is BBS objects. It would be great to be able to have these show up in their own tab. Now I know these objects don't show up in the toolbox, unless you make them, but what would be really great would be to have a tab of their own, then you can collapse it easier, then the list doesn't get too long.

It would be really good if we could control it too, so that when a rebuild is done, the tabs we specified are created with their associated objects. If there are no tabs set up, then it does exactly what it does now throws all objects into a single tab by the name of the BO project.

Does anyone else see value in this?

thanks

Geoff.

PS. on another note, if the above is unreasonable, any chance of a slight modification to the CBBS where theres a checkbox that says 'show in VS toolbox'?

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
PS. on another note, if the above is unreasonable, any chance of a slight modification to the CBBS where theres a checkbox that says 'show in VS toolbox'?

This would not be too hard as we would just need to add the ToolboxItem attribute. The only issue with the other is performance. In fact, we don't even program with any type of auto-population turned on anymore in our own development as this is really slow. Waiting for the auto-population to happen at design-time is incredibly slow, especially the larger an application becomes. Even if VS2008 is turned off and we populate, we would still have to reflect which could be slow as well. I will have to think if there is a good way to approach this, but at a minimum, we can add the ToolBoxItem attribute.
Geoff Hirst
Geoff Hirst
StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)StrataFrame User (171 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Trent,

THanks for considering this. The Custom BBS tool is a godsend if you use Devexpress Xtrareports, not sure if ReportSharpshooter uses the same objects or not, but I never had any success with their demo. it was quite, well, buggy. I am sure it's better now, but I am too far down the road with DevExpress and the CBBS has made it incredibly easy.

best

Geoff.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Glad to hear it...yeah, that is where this control came from...reports.  It also has a lot of other benefits too, such as grids, but I am glad to hear it is serving your needs!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...