Working with Excel file for importing the data with VB.NET

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi guys,

I have some Excel or CSV files which I need to import data from, all these files have over 5 columns and I only care from 2 of them, so I am looking for a way to remove all the extra columns or just select the ones I care for and create another file so I can import the data. These file can have over 120,000 rows so the need to remove unwanted columns and just import the needed ones.

I am using the import class library from http://www.filehelpers.com which is incredibly easy to use for importing data and manipulate this data via strong type BOs, but unfortunately they have not way to pre-select just the columns I need from the imported file.

So I would appreciate if anybody have any link or sample code on how to manipulate an Excel file to remove some specific columns and create a new file to be ready to import using the FileHelpers classes.

Thanks!

Edhy Rijo

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
I think you should just be able to select the columns you want from the Excel file once you have an OLEDB connection to it.

Dim sheetname As String = String.Empty

sheetname = GetExcelSheetNames(fullfilename)

sConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" _

& fullfilename & ";Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=No;"";"

objConn.ConnectionString = sConnectionString

objConn.Open()

Dim objCmdSelect As New OleDbCommand("SELECT COL1,COL2,COL3 FROM [" & sheetname & "]", objConn)

Dim objAdapter1 As New OleDbDataAdapter()

objAdapter1.SelectCommand = objCmdSelect

Dim objDataset1 As New DataSet

objAdapter1.Fill(objDataset1, "tablename")

Dim atable As DataTable = objDataset1.Tables("tablename")

Keith Chisarik
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Thanks Keith, let me give it a try.

Edhy Rijo

Juan Carlos Pazos
Juan Carlos Pazos
StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi Edhy

I was trying to do what you are working now (import from Excel to a BO) but I'not succedd. I´m pretty sure you will solve this, if is possible please put some sample of the solution, I think than more than one will be found very usefull.

Actuallly as I use SQL Server 2008 express, the managment console let me import from Excel to the database; in 2005 express edition did not had this option. Of course it will be better if people don't have to deal with this tools.

Regards

Smile Everything is possible, just keep trying...

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...