Shot in the dark. VFP/Stonefield to SQL Server Tool?

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I have well over a hundred tables that need to be created in SQL Server from VFP. I am about to do this with COPY Stucture and SMO, unless someone here knows of a magic tool to do this that I cannot find via the magic of Google. I also have the table definitions in Stonefield metadata.

Keith Chisarik
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Keith,

You can use xCase if you have it, to import from VFP and then create the MS-SQL script.

If you do not have xCase, then put your VFP tables in a zip file on your ftp and give me access to it, I will have it done in xCase for your and send you the script.

Edhy Rijo

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Eventually I need the metadata in DDT. I know the DDT imports VFP tables as well, but it isnt working. It is only "seeing" three of the 30+ tables in the database, and DEP keeps killing the process.

Also I have an existing DDT definition that I need to add to, it seems like the DDT import creates a new database.

Ill check out xCase as an alternative. My thought if I cant get the DDT to work was to create the tables via SMO, then import them as the SQL Import seems to work a tad better.

Keith Chisarik

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
That is why I offer to import the VFF tables using xCase, so you can create them in a temp DB in MS-SQL, so then you can import them in the DDT from MS-SQL.

The offer still stand, so just let me know if you need it.

Edhy Rijo

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
thanks for the kind offer, Ill let you know shortly. I want to make sure that will work for me.

Keith Chisarik
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
and DEP keeps killing the process.

Is there a reason that you cannot turn off DEP? I turn it off by default any more as it gets in the way more than it ever helps. But even if you just trn it off and then turn it back on, you could at least get through this cycle.
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
I set it as an excpetion and it still did it, trying to remember/Google the way to turn it off globally now.

Keith Chisarik
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I think this will do it....should be really close if not BigGrin

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Aaron Young
Aaron Young
StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)StrataFrame User (343 reputation)
Just in case this doesn't work out, Edhy's suggestion is a good one as I came from the same direction - VFP to xCase, xCase to SQL, SQL to DDT.

Aaron
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I do / have done a lot of VFP - SQL conversions and the best tool I've found so far is called Full Convert Enterprise

from Spectral Core

http://www.spectralcore.com/fullconvert/index.php?app=fc-ent&trial=0&from=helpweb

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...