Creating background image for .NET forms

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi all,

My wife is trying to create a nice background logo to be used in my custom Login form, but for some reason, when I try to use the image as a background it display a white column on the left and not matter what I do, it will not cover all the form. I also test it with a PictureBox and got the same result.

I noticed that the StrataFlix login sample uses a custom background image (not included in the project), is there any specific rule or setting I should tell my wife about this image so it can be used on my forms? She is using Adobe illustrator to create the image.

Thanks!

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Can you post the PNG so I can see it to determine if this is within the image or the program?
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Thanks Trent, here is the png file.

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
That is a good looking image. Tell you wife she did a great job. It looks like it should apply just fine as a background image. Check your tiling options as you will not want to use tiling but rather size the form to the exact dimensions.
Edhy Rijo
E
Trent L. Taylor (08/29/2009)
That is a good looking image. Tell you wife she did a great job.

Well, now she will believe me when I tell her that the image looks pretty good. Thanks.

Check your tiling options as you will not want to use tiling but rather size the form to the exact dimensions.

I did that and still it keeps showing a white column on the left side. Sorry I am not at my computer and cannot show you a screenshot, but if you add this image to a PictureBox or a Form.BackgroundImage you will see the problem.

I know the problem is with the image settings somewhere in Illustrator but we have not been able to find out why.

Here is another version of the background image. (After your compliments, she insisted me to upload this one) Hehe

Edhy Rijo

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I think all you need to do is to crop the image first.

Russ Brown (Using C#2010/SQL Server 2008)

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
I also noticed that by default the picture control sets the BackgroundImageLayout to Tile.  Changing that to Stretch gets rid of the white strip to the left of the image.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Ahh, no it is the image. There is spacing on the left, right, and a portion of a tile beneath it as well. See the attached image to see what the image actually looks like. There are some transparencies which I have changed to black so you can see what is going on with the image. The tile beneath could actually be a transparency also, but you need to create an actual cropped image. The reason I missed it before was due to the transparency of the left side. You can actually see the gap on the left of the preview of the image you posted as well.
Attachments
ActualImage.png (164 views, 239.00 KB)
Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
Yes, this is what I noticed as well.  Thanks Trent.

Edhy Rijo
E
Russ, Trent,

Thanks a lot for the inside on this one. My wife end up cropping the image in Photoshop since she could not find any other way to do it in Illustrator. Now looks great!

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...