Report Sharp Shooter loading 300k records problem

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Trent,

I am having a situation with RSS and wanted to see if you or somebody else here in the forums has experienced this one before going to RSS support.

I have a report that will bring a lot of child records up to 300,000. I am using SF BBS and I have not problems generating small data reports (less than a 1,000), but with the ones over 250,000 then I simply get the RSS "No Report grey screen) and after waiting a considered period of time, nothing ever comes up.

This BBS is based on a View and the data is grabbed using a store procedure to limit the fields to be shown and expedite the generation, while debbuging I can see all the records in the BBS.Source.Count and I can even visualize them.

Now to explain why so many records, I have to import CSV files with that many records which are then sorted out against my data and the ones that fail needs to be send out back to the CSV originator, so my plan was to generate a nice PDF file with RSS.

At this point I appreciate any suggestion related to the overall process. Thanks!

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Well, let's start with this. You can create a report with this many records and there are a number of ways to get at it. First, the performance of the query should be taken into account. Make sure that it is optimized. Second, you need to create a status dialog that displays while the data is gathered and the report is run. This will at least notify the user that something is going on.

Next, you may want to stream the report instead of gathering all of the data first. This is a more complex discussion and is relatively in depth, but this could be another option. We have not had to do this and have some very large reports with massive amounts of data and transactions, so this may not be necessary.

Third, leave out any columns that are not required by the report when building your data source.

Those are the basics which you probably already knew, so I am not sure how much help this will be. But this is not an easy question to answer as it requires a number of things to achieve it in addition to understanding your data, your data source environment for the reports, how you are bringing back the data and when, etc.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Trent,

I could not figured this one out, so I changed my approach, I modified the store procedure to group all records and simply show the grouped data with a counter and then provide the end user with a CSV file with a detail record information that can be open with Excel if they need to go one by one.

In the same topic RSS, is there a way to display an ENUM Display Value in the report? I have the enum value in the records, but I have not find a way to tell the report engine to treat this field as an enumeration of my type needed to use the MicroFour.StrataFrame.Tools.Common.GetEnumDisplayValue() or is there any other nice trick you use in this case?

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
In the same topic RSS, is there a way to display an ENUM Display Value in the report?

Well, generally I will create a custom property that exposes this on the Inherited Reporting BO. If you recall from the class, we create a Custom BBS and BO for each report. So I will add any custom properties like this to the reporting BO unless it will be used all over the place then I will add it to the base BO. Then within that custom property, I will do just what you said and call the GetEnumDisplayValue() method.
Edhy Rijo
E
Trent L. Taylor (09/02/2009)

Well, generally I will create a custom property that exposes this on the Inherited Reporting BO.

Darn, sometimes I just forget to go back to the basics "custom field property", I use them all the time and in this case I simply got stuck which lead me to explore another area from RSS "Common Script" so I went ahead and create a function that will return the proper value for the Enum, it works fine, but it is not efficient in case the Enum values changes, so a custom property will be used.

Thanks again!

P.S.

About custom field properties "CFP" and BSS, have you noticed in VB that when a CFP is created, it does now show up in the BBS1 instance in the form unless I close the solution, exit VS and come back.

Edhy Rijo

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
About custom field properties "CFP" and BSS, have you noticed in VB that when a CFP is created, it does now show up in the BBS1 instance in the form unless I close the solution, exit VS and come back.

No. This is most likely due to you having your assemblies in the GAC. That is the only time I have seen something like that.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...