TOAD for SQL Server Freeware

Author
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Another very nice and useful FREE tool you might want to check out:

http://www.toadsoft.com/toadsqlserver/toad_sqlserver.htm

They have a recent version 4.5 update.

Russ Brown (Using C#2010/SQL Server 2008)

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Maybe I am missing something, but what does this have to offer over SQL Server Management Studio, Execution plans, etc.
Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
"Nice to have" compared to SSMSE for SQL Server 2008 Express.  This freeware version of TOAD is better than SSMSE.

There are a lot of little things but some of the ones I like are the use of tabs, export options (11), codes snippets in the editor, more options in the object explorer, maybe a little better printing.

Attachments
TOADvsSSMSE.jpg (155 views, 229.00 KB)
TOAD-EXPORT.jpg (161 views, 232.00 KB)
TOAD-OE.jpg (147 views, 259.00 KB)
Alex Luyando
Alex Luyando
StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
fwiw, I've used Toad (originally for work on an Oracle database many moons ago) and still use it daily against our SQL Server databases... Like Russell says, it's just a TON of these "little things" that end up being a HUGE improvement over SSMS... The boys at Quest really think hard about what makes sense and what will increase developer productivity. Toad rocks!

I sort of view it the same as using the Microsoft .Net framework components v. the StrataFrame framework components... After using SF's it really sucks going back to MS Wink

Advice: Install it, use it for a month... after that let us know what you think.

E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Russell,

Thanks for sharing this info.

I was trying to use the "Query Builder" but it is not available "Not Licensed", I could not find in there site if this is a feature not available in the freeware, or if I need to get a freeware license for this to work, do you know anything about it?

Edhy Rijo

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
No, sorry.  The freeware version does not include the Object Builder and a lot of other things.  You can't get a license file without purchasing at least the professional version.

Everything that says "(Not Licensed)" is available on their website of course.  The professional version is $595.

http://www.quest.com/toad-for-sql-server/

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
I forgot to mention that you can download a trial version of course....

Like I said in my earlier post, I only mentioned the freeware version because it is FREE and works better than SSMS for SQL Server 2008 Express.  Obviously I didn't make that clear at all.

TOAD has another package for SQL called Xpert and they also offer a suite which includes XPert and Professional.  For my needs Pro is overkill.

I'm definitely going to by the Professional version once my trial version expires.

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Thanks Russell, I will check it out. The fee version looks pretty good I started using it today.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...