Updating the Setup and Deploy Project

Author
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have been using Click-Once since I started with my current C# application project 2 years ago. I have lost count of how many updates I have made. Recently I have been having some unusual behavior in my IDE which given me pause to reconsider my deployment options. I am investigating deploying the SF application via Group Policy in AD.

So far, the experience with AD deployment has been a good one. Now, I want to update the setup project with the most recent changes and get the update out to the install base. This should be easy, but I am missing something.

First, if I simply build the SF app, then build the setup project, my current changes are not picked up. Version update somewhere?

Second, how do I get the new MSI to update to old MSI? I am a little confused on that one. Is it basically uninstall, then reinstall?

Any pointers on this setup project would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
1) Are you looking for the "Assembly Information" button on the Application tab of the project properties?

2) Try the "RemovePreviousVersions" property of the deploy project, works for me.

Keith Chisarik

Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Silly me...I am not sure what I am looking for. Ermm I did try the RemovePreviousVersions property set to true. Also, I changed the version from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1. Neither worked.

This is really the first time that I have gotten into using a different deployment method than Click-Once. I am really green when it comes to this, so I apologize for asking some really basic questions here. I know you guys can all help me, though. Smile

Basic scenario: I have created the mysetup.msi file and a user has installed it. The user calls me and asks for a new feature, which I have easily added to the application. Now, I want to give the user the updated application. This is where I am getting stumped.

Rebuilding the setup project does not seem to be picking up the changes; therefore, the new feature is not going to be installed. My application involves a base project and several module (assembly) projects. Only one of the assembly projects had a change in it. Do I need to alter it's version or something? I've not had to do that before.

Is there a better way to provide updates rather than uninstalling and reinstalling the application via a new MSI file? The nice thing is that all database changes are handled separately from the application updates. These are synchronized but not simultaneous. Uninstalling/Reinstalling is not bad, but it can be a little time consuming for the user. If it is just one DLL that has been updated...couldn't I distribute that DLL another way?

I know...basic questions. Any help is greatly appreciated...as always!

Bill
Bill Cunnien
Bill Cunnien
I think I have got it. All I need to do is change the version property of the setup project. With the RemovePreviousVersions property set to 'true' I build the setup project. The resulting MSI file has the updated assemblies that I need for the SF application. It works quite well.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...