How to only build the Start-Up Project

Author
Peter Jones
StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

It used to be that when I set a project to be the 'start-up project' in VS and clicked run then that project and all its depedancies where rebuilt but now my entire solution is rebuilt.

I've no idea what I've modified to cause this behaviour change but I would sure love to set it back to how it was. Any ideas?

Cheers, Peter
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
If you are on VS2008 the only reason it would do this is if a downstream reference assembly is though to have changed. That is generally what sparks a rebuild.
Peter Jones
Peter Jones
StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)StrataFrame User (450 reputation)
Hi Trent,

Thanks for the info. Yes, we are using VS2008 - do you have any idea how I can 'set' the state of all assemblies to 'unmodified'? I've done a clean / rebuild of my solution many times and this doesn't change things.

Cheers, Peter
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Are you using VB.NET or CSharp? This can make a difference as well. If you are using VB.NET, then one way may be to use file references versus project references. This will also improve performance within the designer as well. If you already have it setup this way then you may try swapping to project references to see if you have any luck.

One thing that I will do at times, regardless of language, is to "smoke" (Texan for delete) my local working folders and re-download everything from source control and rebuild. This ensures that there are no rogue assemblies within my development environment causing me grief.
Peter Jones
Peter Jones
Hi Trent,

We use VB and I will certainly try you suggestions when I return to the office next week. Not sure what you mean by 'file references' but I guess I can suss that one out.

Cheers, Peter
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...