Licensing Manager applications for .Net

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi guys,

In my quest for Licensing Manager solutions I came across this product:

Quick License Manager from Interactive Studios Inc.

I will start testing it this week and would like know if anybody have used this product?

Edhy Rijo

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have not used this but it looks like something I'm interested in for sure.  It is definitely inexpensive compared to some of the other ones I've looked at.

There appears to be some overlap with the AppLife Updates product at least in terms of checking for updates.... 

Thanks for the information.

Russ Brown (Using C#2010/SQL Server 2008)

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Russell Scott Brown (09/29/2009)
There appears to be some overlap with the AppLife Updates product at least in terms of checking for updates....

I sent them an email yesterday asking a bunch of questions about their products and have not received any response yet.

I have not dig into this product yet, even though I installed and yes it looks pretty good, don't know all details about the .NET integration or the check for updates, but so far I am having good time with AppLife Update.

Edhy Rijo

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
I will almost certainly buy AppLife Update once my trial expires next month and before their special offer expires for Strataframe users.

I'm going to check out QLM this weekend too.

By the way, what do you use for a .NET obfuscator?  Have you standardized on something already?  I've looked at about half a dozen ranging all over the place it price.  I'm having a tough time deciding what I will use in this category too there seems to be so many good choices.

Edhy Rijo
E
Russell Scott Brown (09/29/2009)
By the way, what do you use for a .NET obfuscator? Have you standardized on something already? I've looked at about half a dozen ranging all over the place it price. I'm having a tough time deciding what I will use in this category too there seems to be so many good choices.

I have DeepSea Obfuscator 2009 but still I have not been able to make it work with SF, I get all kind of error while trying, it is next on my list to make it work after the Licensing Manager stuff.

Edhy Rijo

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
I'm probably going to go with Smart Assembly but I haven't yet tested it with SF either!

www.smartassembly.com

Edhy Rijo
E
Humm, looks pretty good. Thanks Russell.

Trent, since obfuscation is a very important part of protecting our SF applications, could you list what kind of features of an obfuscation can be use to successfully obfuscate an SF application?

I know there are features like renaming, encrypting, etc, and I believe Greg mentioned in another post that BO could be hard to obfuscate or something like that.

Edhy Rijo

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
I've used Xenocode (http://www.xenocode.com/) to obfuscate my code. It worked OK. A couple of things about obfuscation and SF. As long as you have pretty granular control over what gets obfuscated, any of them will work. However, there are a lot of gotchas when obfuscating SF code. The primary concept to remember is that SF serializes a bunch of stuff as strings to designer. Things like the name of BOs, the names of methods, the names of enums, etc.

Because of this you need to make sure you don't obfuscate BOs (the class names at least) and don't obfuscate any methods used as fill methods with listviews or listboxes or combos. Also, don't obfuscate enums names or values.

Thus, it is very doable, but there is some pain and make sure you test the obfuscated version. BTW, I was doing this with ClickOnce...that was fun!

Crazy
Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
By the way, Redgate just acquired Smart Assembly on September 1st.

http://www.red-gate.com/

Edhy Rijo
E
Hi guys,

It looks like Quick License Manger is going to be a winner here. I have been testing some implementation o a plain .Net project and so far so good.

Their product includes a web service you can install on your host computer or your ISP for online activation and many other goodies.

The control of the activation process is also pretty good and flexible for the developer/customer service. Still I need to do more in deep testing, but so far they have everything I need in a License Manager tool.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...