Controlling column order

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
How does one control the column order when maintaining fields in the DDT? Ideally the column order that ends up in SQL should match the order displayed in the DDT. It does not, additionally I have an occurrance where the column order is different when deployed to two different SQL servers even after the tables on both servers have been dropped. This is wreaking havoc with some import functions I have.

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
sorry but...bump

Keith Chisarik
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Keith,

I think it is a problem with MS-SQL. Using other tools to design the tables, I have noticed that in order to keep the columns in the same order as I design them, it will have to rename the table, create a new one with the current field order, then copy the data from the renamed table, and then delete the renamed table.

If you want I can send you a copy of the script that is being generated for this "Copy" functionality.

Edhy Rijo

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Anyway, here is sample of the generated script in which it will rename, create new structure with fields in order then copy data back to new table, and delete renamed table.

Edhy Rijo

Attachments
Modify SQL scipt.txt (132 views, 1.00 KB)
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
I want the tool to do this for me, ideally. Ill try your idea if Trent doent come up with something. I think the DDT should do this, perhaps it does I just dont know of a secret setting or trick (I hope).

Keith Chisarik
Edhy Rijo
E
Keith Chisarik (10/06/2009)
I want the tool to do this for me, ideally.

Me too. Tongue

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...