VS 2010 RC available today

Author
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
The VS 2010 RC is available today.

Never too soon to get ready for Strataframe 2.0 BigGrin

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
Strataframe does need to get rid of the 1.X.X for sure.

It is too advanced of a product to still be carrying that "1" as part of its moniker!

I don't envy Strataframe having to support VS2010 already.  If VS2010 is like VS2008 was for me then I should start using it about the summer of next year so I can wait.

Russ Brown (Using C#2010/SQL Server 2008)

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
All in the works. Most likely the next update will support VS2010. Just FYI, I keep getting emails via the VSIP network talking about different issues related to add-ins like SF. We have already started this process, but like any new major release, VS2010 is handing out a few black eyes. It will be great in the long run though.
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
I was kind of kidding Trent about SF 2.0 and VS 2010. As you probably know, the whole shift in VS 2010 is to WPF - the IDE itself is WPF. Winforms has matured to a level where it will no longer be extended by MS ( though the huge deployment of Winforms apps assures its shelf life for a long time) and all the emphasis goes to WPF / Silverlight.

I cannot even imagine from a framework builder's point of view what it would entail to deal with all this but my guess would be at the appropriate time SF will have a set of WPF controls that will allow for using the WPF IDE and UI with the very well proven SF business and data layer. It would seem that the design of SF allows for a lot of flexibility. But I know the one thing they don't want to sacrifice is performance in business apps just to get UI goodies.

I know the Taylors are very realistic about development and emphasize steak over sizzle, so I'm betting on them to deliver what we need in a timely fashion without chasing after transient technologies. Since WPF seems to be coming of age with this version of VS I'd bet there is WPF support in the works but don't expect to see a big change in the framework until the initial release of VS 2010 has been allowed to percolate.

That said, WPF is pretty cool, IMO, and it is certainly worth learning about it now.

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Well said, Charles. You are correct in all your statements, and yes, we will have a WPF collection in due time. Around May / June we will be all hands on deck with some new hands in the mix as well working on the next major control collections, etc. We are actually already working on them, but the burner will be turned on full blast around this time which will have allowed the proper amount of "percolating" time as you mentioned. Smile

Microsoft is really pushing WPF extremely hard, to the point I am really tired of all of the sales pitches. But it is better, but the one thing we want to do as a framework is help WinForm developers move over to WPF. It is a whole new world and there are a vast amount of resistant developers fighting the move. Many of them know that they want it, but don't know why and can't determine if it is cost effective for their teams. So we plan to make this process much easier. One of the biggest issues with WPF is design-time as well as data-binding. We plan to tackle both of these and when we do, we will swap it over to SF 2.0! Smile
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I see the newest release supports VS2010, great job guys! Have you been using 2010 RTM in house with SF? I am happy to see that all the major tools I use are 2010 certified before the official launch date, awesome!!!

I have HIGH hopes that 2010 increases overall stability and performance.

Keith Chisarik

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Have you tried hooking up the new SF in VS 2010 RC yet?

Assuming VS 2008 and VS 2010 RC on the same box, I was wondering how to get the new SF in 2010 (re activation etc ) . Can't take the risk of screwing up my 2008 setup.

Since the license runs on the NIC I assume it is cool to use SF in both VS installs on the same box?

Dustin - could you give us a walkthrough scenario for trying SF in VS 2010 on the same box with out dev environment.

TIA

Smile
Keith Gordijn
Keith Gordijn
StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)
Hi Charles,

I have both 2008 and 2010 with SF hooked up, no reactivation needed.

Apart from changes to the solution and project files that mean you can't go back to 2008, although I haven't actually tried, it works great, Just rebuild and done.

One thing I did notice is that if you open say a form and close it without making changes it wants to save but not sure what if anything is happening under the hood.

Love the tearaway tabs and explorer, gives you heaps more room.

Cheers,

Keith
Keith Gordijn
Keith Gordijn
StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (55 reputation)
Curiosity got to me so I tried to open a project back in 2008 and as expected it's a no go. Predictable given that 2010 does a conversion when you first open the solution.

I expect that people will wait different amounts of time before moving across, depends on the comfort level with critical nature of the applications, roll outs etc.
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I gues i am lucky at any given time I have about 10-15 different .NET projects open, I am going to start doing a few of the les critical ones once Trent or Dustin comes by and gives the virtual thumbs up.

Keith Chisarik
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...