DB Server Timeout with Any DB Server

Author
Michael Gonzalez
StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm evaluation SF for the first time. No matter what DB server I tell it to use, it always results in a connection problem, whether it be a timeout or an login failure, and I've verified I can connect to SSMS v2005, so credentials are not the problem. The installation fails, too:

"Failed to connect to server [hostname]

Timeout expired. ...

Source: Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo

..."

Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (34 reputation)
I've attached a print screen of the installation DB error.
Attachments
DBError.JPG (234 views, 146.00 KB)
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Michael,

This has been popping up a bit lately.  We are changing the way this works in the next update as this seems to be more of an issue on Windows 7 and some later service packs on other OS's lately.  There was some relatively long discussions on another thread the other day about getting around this.  Some people mentioned that it had to do with a long machine name while others mentioned having the issue when a dash was in the computer name.  In truth, we have had a hard time reproducing this, but know how to ultimately prevent the error.

If none of these suggestions get you going, let me know and I will give you a link to a beta build that has this workaround eliminated from the installer.

Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
Trent L. Taylor (03/08/2010)
Michael,

This has been popping up a bit lately. We are changing the way this works in the next update as this seems to be more of an issue on Windows 7 and some later service packs on other OS's lately. There was some relatively long discussions on another thread the other day about getting around this. Some people mentioned that it had to do with a long machine name while others mentioned having the issue when a dash was in the computer name. In truth, we have had a hard time reproducing this, but know how to ultimately prevent the error.

If none of these suggestions get you going, let me know and I will give you a link to a beta build that has this workaround eliminated from the installer.

I'm doing this on a Windows XP Professional x86 SP3 workstation. I've created another thread regarding this: http://forum.strataframe.net/Topic26350-10-1.aspx

The installer verifies the SQL Server's connection, and it passes. It's once is gets to the DB creation phase that it fails--each time. I have many DB client tools on that same machine that are able to connect to the server just fine (e.g., Aqua Data Studio & SSMS), so the connection to the server is not an issue per se. Also, I have rights on that server, since I'm a member of the SysAdmin server role. So it's a puzzle why this is occurring at all.

I'm really interested in this product and might become a customer, but I need it to install/work first! w00t
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
Here's the error:

Attachments
DBError.JPG (207 views, 146.00 KB)
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
Oh, and by the way, the machine name is only 9 characters long.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Michael,

This is actually an issue with the MSI, not the actual connection. We think that a service pack or patch was introduced recently that is causing this to fail. We are about to publish a new build later in the week that will prevent this from happening. We have seen this come up more often recently and have some support requests into the appropriate people. Regardless, we already have a workaround and will be publishing that build soon. Sorry for the trouble.
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
OK, please let me know when the beta is ready. Thanks.
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez
Michael Gonzalez (03/10/2010)
OK, please let me know when the beta is ready. Thanks.

Please disregard my preceding statement. I am no longer interested in this product. Regards, Mike.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Thanks Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...