VS tips and tricks

Author
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Okay, I'm sure everyone else knows this, but try hitting Ctrl-TAB in the VS IDE. (just hold control and tap TAB repeatedly to move through the list, then just let go)

I also tend to forget Ctrl M O to collapse all outlining to definitions and Ctrl L to expand all (as well as Ctrl M M to toggle in current block )

This is useful if you don't already know of it :

http://blogs.msdn.com/zainnab/archive/tags/vs2010/Tips+and+Tricks/Visual+Studio+Tips+and+Tricks/default.aspx

Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
Ah yes, and remember on the Windows menu you can Split the current doc window and also add a new tab group for documents either horizontally or vertically ( and with a 24" monitor that gives you a lot of flexibility )

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
The ones I use the most:

Ctl+K+D to format the doc. I didn't do this as much when using VB, but with C#...all the time.

Ctl+K+C to comment selected lines and Ctl+K+U to uncomment.

F7 to toggle between code and designer view.

F4 for properties.

Ctl+Shift+B to build all projects in solution

Cool poster of shortcuts:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=e5f902a8-5bb5-4cc6-907e-472809749973&displaylang=en
Dustin Taylor
Dustin Taylor
StrataFrame Team Member (484 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Great tips! Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of the CTRL+M+O/L shortcuts, those will come in handy Smile.
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Someone asked the same question on SO today. Some great ones in here...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/100420/hidden-features-of-visual-studio-2005-2008
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Good stuff !

Another must have is the Source Outliner Powertoy.

http://sourcecodeoutliner.codeplex.com/

I also keep forgetting that with two monitors you can undock your properties sheet, solution explorer etc and drag them over to another monitor, leaving the 24" for side by side code/designer windows.

( also discovered recently that the infragistics folks get what I've always complained about in the Property Sheet. Their Custom Property Pages has Modified Only so you can look at just properties that are not set at default. Now if they would just let you set favorite properties for each control they'd be caught up with the VFPX Property Designer we've had in VFP for a couple years now BigGrin )

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
Thanks Charles - the source control outliner is very nice to have.

Russ Brown (Using C#2010/SQL Server 2008)
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
There is a version for VS2010 as well, but at least in the RC it installs without error but then never shows up on the Other Windows menu like it does in 2008. Googled and others have the same experience but I haven't found and answer.

Russell Scott Brown
Russell Scott Brown
StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)StrataFrame User (246 reputation)
Thanks.  I'm not using VS2010 yet anyway so it by the time I do I'm sure the problem will be resolved.

Russ Brown (Using C#2010/SQL Server 2008)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...