BOMapper suggestion: adhoc mappings

Author
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
While answering a question about how to handle a column name that contained something nasty (a dollar sign in this case) (see http://forum.strataframe.net/FindPost26955.aspx), I had a brilliant thought...well a thought at least. Blink

I'm wondering if it would be possible to have an "adhoc" method of creating the definition of a BO in the BO Mapper. In other words, rather than having to connect to a database and select a table (which is very nice most of the time), rather just allow for the data to be input manually. I.e. just manually enter the data for a column definition or even for the table itself. This could also be used to tweak thinks like the column name if needed. Likely there would need to be a flag that the definition is manual, so the mapper wouldn't try to update it.

I'm thinking that something alone these lines might help with some of the more challenging mapping issues out there, especially columns that need to be aliased so .NET will like them. It might also provide a really easy way to add custom fields too.

Thanks for the great product!
Charles R Hankey
Charles R Hankey
Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (764 reputation)
How is this different from a non-deployed DDT project?

Or is the idea to cut out the need for the DDT to accomplish the same thing?
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Well, it wouldn't require the DDT at all (which is purchased separately). Second, I'm thinking this could be done to customize or add individual columns ( or even remove a column). And I'm thinking this could be useful for non-SQL server projects.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...