Long-term Oracle Support?

Author
Kirk M Sherhart
StrataFrame Novice (61 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (61 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (61 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (61 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (61 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (61 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (61 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (61 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (61 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Since Microsoft has said that System.Data.OracleClient will be deprecated in .NET 4.0, what are MicroFour's plans for continued support of Oracle db's?
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
We will take the same approach as we did with other 3rd party databases such as DB2. We will provide a factory entry to allow SF users to choose which managed .NET Oracle client that they want to use. We have not 100% decided yet, but we will most likely provide a "standard" or "preferred" Oracle client. At present we are leaning towards using Oracle's client since they are most likely not going to go away or deprecate their client. Smile
lastcanary
lastcanary
StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hello,

We are using Visual Studio 2010 and Oracle 11g.

After creating a table I used Business Object Mapper and built the BO. It was built with no errors.

When I tried to build the project I received the following error:

Error   1   The type or namespace name 'OracleClient' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Data' (are you missing an assembly reference?)   E:\DENEME\OracleTest05072010\OracleTest05072010\deneme1.Designer.cs   360   65   OracleTest05072010

I dont know how to solve this error.

Does Strataframe supports VS2010 with Oracle 11g?

Could you please help us?

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Did you add a reference to the System.Data.OracleClient.dll?

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
I realized that the problem might be that you are referencing the .NET 4.0 version of System.Data.OracleClient, but you need to reference the .NET 2.0 version for SF to work. It won't show up on the .NET tab of the Add References dialog if your project is a .NET 4.0 project (it only shows the .NET 4.0 assemblies). You'll have to user the Browse tab to reference the .NET 2.0 version, then the SF stuff should work. The System.Data.OracleClient.Dll is typically located:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Let us know if this gets your problem solved.
lastcanary
lastcanary
StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Thank you for your support.

This doesnt look to be a permanent solution. Are you developing a new solution for .NET 4.0?
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Well, we have to work out what a solution might be, because Microsoft isn't supporting Oracle anymore. I.e. while they do have a .NET 4.0 Oracle driver, it is depreciated so we are investigating what might be a good approach going forward. This fall we'll be looking at this in more detail.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...