StrataFlix Demo Issues/Problems

Author
Trevor Westerdahl
StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (27 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I downloaded the StrataFlix Demo and ...

1) There were no instructions, no help

2) The shortcut in the start menu was bad: looked for the solution file here:C:\Program Files\MicroFour\StrataFlix\StrataFlix.sln, but there are TWO solutions (C# and VB); thus, there should be two shortcuts with the full path (I.e. C:\Program Files\MicroFour\StrataFlix\CSharp\StrataFlix.sln for CSharp).

3) The files should not be installed in Program Files because Vista and above do not like that (not considered appropriate to install in a directory outside a user or all user's profile)... so it asks for elevated privileges. This could create problems for a user with a roaming profile.

4) Why is the database in a SQL Server 2008 format? Is it really necessary... there is an option to export to earlier formats in SQL Server 2008, so this doesn't make sense to me to limit usability. I already had to switch servers because my 2008 server uses case-sensitive collation and this bombed the Console Demo. So now the StartFlix demo cant be used because its in a SQL Server 2008 only format.

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.2K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.2K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.2K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.2K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.2K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.2K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.2K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.2K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
We will check on that. The sample was a VB.NET when first launched, and then the C# version was created. The link on the start menu was missed.

The sample has a well commented code, this will help you understand some various techniques to accomplish some tasks.

Cheers!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...