Control client access directly to my SQL Server

Author
Luiz Lima
StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi guys,

I have a SF Winform App that connects directly to SQL Server on ISP Data Center.

I´d like to grant access to the Databases only for my application and our support´s computers with Management Studio.

I know that VPN solution would be a good idea, but install a software in which client computer is completely terrible.

Do you know if there´s a possibility to using VPN solution without installation or SSL Connection inside my source code?

Tks

Luiz

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
The easiest would be to use Enterprise Server (SF product) do this. The connection can be encrypted and compressed as desired. In most situations there is no change to your app other than setting up a new data source for the enterprise server. The trickiest part is installing the server, but compared to most server installs it's pretty painless. I not aware of any VPN/SSL components you could install into your app, but there could be those sorts of tools available.
Luiz Lima
Luiz Lima
StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (80 reputation)
Hi Greg,

I thought about ES but it´s expensive to me in these moment, and bandwidth is not a problem right now because the Datacenter has a huge channel.

Also ES does not solve other problem that I mencioned about grant access directly to internet only for computers that I want. :-(

Tks

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
I didn't read quite carefully enough. ES will solve access issues for the client app, especially if you use encryption (strongly recommended). For access for admins using SSMS, I think you are going to need to use a VPN. The database shouldn't be accessible from the Internet at all. ES will be on a web server at your ISP, VPN server should be at ISP, both controlling access to database server.

I'd actually argue that ES is pretty cheap, when you compare it to other options. Building something like that yourself would be more expensive, likely, unless you are a network programming guru, when you consider the time to build and test it. Also, it is not obvious to me that you could embed a VPN in an app. They usually need some sort of server (but I'm no expert on how all the pieces work). In all the VPNs I've used, there is a server that you must log into, via either a client app or via web page with something like Java in it. Doesn't mean it isn't out there, but it does suggest to me that you be very cautious when considering this approach.

I'm not an expert with all this VPN/Internet security stuff, so there maybe some way I've never heard of. Anyone else have any ideas?

Luiz Lima
Luiz Lima
Greg,

I know ES is too cheap when you consider about the Microfour development, this is really fantastic.
But in my case, If I have many servers spread outside of ISP network range, I should to by one ES for each network/domain, this is very expensive too me.
My application will grow to thousands of clients....

I heard about a certificate to install on client and server to access SQL with more security..... but If I should to install it in each client... no way... this is impossible to do.

Until now, ES is the best solution, but not complete for me.
I´m continuing to study other solutions....

Tks a lot again

Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Do you have many SQL Servers on many different domains? Or many clients on different domains, accessing SQL Server at your ISP?

If you have your SQL Servers at one location, on one network, then one ES server would work. I.e. you do want ES server on same network as SQL server, but a single ES server can handle many SQL Servers and/or many connections. My ES server is handling 6 connections to two databases. Each connection has its own settings, encryption keys etc. Of course, you have to license ES server for the number of users and you might need more than one ES server (it supports load balancing) depending on performance.

I'm guessing this isn't your situation, but just wanted to clarify how ES works, just in case....

If I see anything that might work for you, I'll post it. And let us know if you find anything that works for you.

Good luck!
Luiz Lima
Luiz Lima
Greg,

In these moment we have 2 SQL Servers and hundred of clients, in a future, we will have until 6 or more server with thousands of clients..

Complicated isn´t it?

Tks

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...