Create Database Schema Documentation

Author
Jason Seidell
StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ok so this is more of an informational post than a question.  I am working to document my latest deployment into Sharepoint for my development team, when I was hit, "Why am I typing a list of tables and columns with descriptions when I already did that in the DDT?"  So the next question became, how do I get that information.  This is another example of M$ creating a new, whiz-bang way of doing things, followed by not-documenting it, and then deprecating it.

The skinny is you can easily find a list of tables (sys.Tables) and columns (sys.Columns) but the descriptions are saved to a seperate extended properties table (sys.extended_properties).  I could not find where or how to get the descriptions until I came across this helpful post, http://databases.aspfaq.com/schema-tutorials/schema-how-do-i-show-the-description-property-of-a-column.html.  Most of the posts either referenced a sysproperties table (which is now deprecated) or a nearly un-usable sproc fn_listextendedproperty.  Anyways here is the SQL queries, which allow a quick dump of tables and columns followed by the descriptions that were put into the DDT.

-- Create a list and description of all tables

SELECT

t1.name,

t2.value

FROM

sys.Tables as t1

LEFT OUTER JOIN

sys.extended_properties as t2

ON

t1.object_id=t2.major_id AND

t2.minor_id=0 AND

t2.name='MS_Description'

ORDER BY t1.name;

-- Create list of all table column names and descriptions

SELECT

[Table Name] = OBJECT_NAME(c.object_id),

[Column Name] = c.name,

[Description] = ex.value

FROM

sys.columns c

LEFT OUTER JOIN

sys.extended_properties ex

ON

ex.major_id = c.object_id

AND ex.minor_id = c.column_id

AND ex.name = 'MS_Description'

WHERE

OBJECTPROPERTY(c.object_id, 'IsMsShipped')=0

-- AND OBJECT_NAME(c.object_id) = 'your_table'

ORDER

BY OBJECT_NAME(c.object_id), c.column_id

Hope someone else finds this useful!!

Jason Seidell

Jason Seidell

Programmer/Analyst

Infinedi

Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Thanks for sharing, Jason. Wink
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
You can also look in the XML files in the DDT package file for this info.

Keith Chisarik
Jason Seidell
Jason Seidell
StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (69 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Keith Chisarik (07/26/2010)
You can also look in the XML files in the DDT package file for this info.

That would be great for a more programmatic access, but I was just looking for a quick and dirty copy and paste action.  However that does create an interesting idea for code that would automatically parse those xml files and then update a documentation source.  So as SF DBA/developer I just need to update my DDT and deploy, without having to merge those changes into the documentation.

Jason

Jason Seidell

Programmer/Analyst

Infinedi

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...