Textboxes and character-values

Author
Thomas Holste
StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi there,

I found a problem today which I could solve, but I am not sure, if this is the right way, so I would like to ask you, how you have solved this.

I want my textboxes to behave like textboxes do in VFP. This means, a textbox (I am only talking about textboxes filled with string-value) is filled with the trimmed value from the table and is in insert-mode.

Now my standard-textbox ist filled with a padded value (full length of a field) and the first time I entered into a textbox I was wandering why I could type and type and nothing happened.

Then I set Autoadjustlength to False and increased maxlength. Now I could type but I like the idea of setting a maxlength for a character-field.

Then I read a bit through some threads in the forum, started the BO-Mapper and trimmed my char-fields and set the BindingUpdateMode to OnValidation. But then the field was not saved. Finally I put a little "helper-field" on the form, which receives focus in my save-method (and then hides again). Now everything is working but I am asking myself, if this is ok? How do you handle this, especially if you want to behave textboxes like the way I have described?

Best regards

Thomas
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Thomas,

I want my textboxes to behave like textboxes do in VFP. This means, a textbox (I am only talking about textboxes filled with string-value) is filled with the trimmed value from the table and is in insert-mode.

If you use Varchar field types in your tables, then it will behave as you want.  What do you mean by "insert-mode"?

Edhy Rijo

Thomas Holste
Thomas Holste
StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)StrataFrame User (294 reputation)
Hi Edhy,

thanks for the tip, I will try it.

By "Insert-Mode" I mean that, when entered, a character is added to the content of a field.

In Overwrite.Mode an existing character would be replaced by the new typed char.

Best regards

Thomas
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Insert-mode is the default for most controls that take text, so that should be easy.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...