ES unavailble after hardware change

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I have moved my ES, and it isnt happy. No one can connect. The error is below. I updated web.config to enable SMTP errors and dont get any, confirmed the connection string has been properly updated in datasources.config and that the databases are online and acepting queries via SSMS.

ServerCheck.aspx says "OK" and the status.aspx looks good as well.

The new server is SQL 2008, 64 bit, Server 2008R2, IIS7, I also changed the app pool for ES to classic and verified that named pipes are on in the SQL Confiuration Manager (though I would prefer to use TCP/IP)

Help appreciated...

EnterpriseDataSourceException
  An error occurred while executing the command on the remote data source.  See the inner exception for more details.
SqlException
  A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Source     : MicroFour StrataFrame Enterprise Client

Keith Chisarik
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (7.1K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Keith,

I have fought these types of issues before and it is always network and/or security related.  For example, starting with the SMTP side of things, it will simply attempt to connect to the mail server you have specified using the FQDN or IP address you have supplied.  The first thing to test there is this:

1. Open up a command prompt
  2. Attempt to telnet to the SMTP server: telnet mail.myserver.com 25
  3. You should get a banner posted back, if not, then the server will not be able to get to your mail server either
Second, on others contacting your server, most likely this is a NAT or firewall issue.  I recently moved a lot of servers to a new network and this included about 4 ES servers as well, and the first issue I ran into was a NAT from the external IP to a local IP on the host machine.  Make sure that your tracert's line up.  If you have an ASA or PIX in front of the server you will not be able to complete the tracert, but it is a start.

Finally, if you need to translate a FQDN on the local machine to point back to the local host (i.e. getting to the status.aspx page on your hosted machine might be an example) be sure to take advantage of the hosts file on the hosted machine (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts).  You can supply a loopback address while being resolved as a FQDN (since the ES license is associated with the FQDN).

These should be some ideas to get you started.
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
SMTP is working fine, I get messages.

I RDP into the server and can access the status page fine from the authorized IP.

The ES client connects to the ES Server and the status pages shows clients connected, this first query that is requested, in this case to SFSPreferencesBO.RetrieveSecurityPreferences, fails.

I think clients can connect fine, but the ES Server cannot "talk" to the SQL Server, I have tried using both the server name and the IP in the connection string, neither works and returns the same error.

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
Migrated databases didn't have appropriate permissions for Network Service account. All good here thanks.

Keith Chisarik
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...