ListBox Control not rendering

Author
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi,

I am getting the error message below displayed on a web form in design mode after exiting from the PopulationDataSourceSettings builder:

Immediately below the listbox are DropDownList and ListView Controls both of which display details from the ProductRangeBO correctly when the form is run.

I am using VS2008 and SQL Server 2008 on a Windows XP notebook for development. The notebook also has VS2003, VS2005 & VS2010 installed on it. I have version 1.7.3 of Stratrame installed according the the Help about screen in VS.

Any suggestions most gratefully received,

TIA,

Andy
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Andy,

Almost missed this post!  Sorry about that.  Could you paste the source for the listbox?   Are you having trouble with any other instances of the listbox?
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
Hi Greg,

The problem occurs whenever I try to add a list box control after exiting the PopulationDataSourceSettings builder in VS2008. I can specify the Source BO and the columns in the builder but on exit the error occurs. I have attached the aspx file for you. It would appear that the builder is not generating code for the control correctly.

If you could post an example of what code is expected to be generated for a ListBox I will investigate further at this end.

Best regards and thanks,

Andy
Attachments
ProductRange.aspx (94 views, 2.00 KB)
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
I saw this recently elsewhere and it had to do with the configuration of the web environment.  Do you have your web environment setup as a "Web Site" or a "Web Application"?
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
Hi Trent,

I think as a Web Site - is there an easy way to detemine? (Sorry, new to web development).

Which model should I be using? I will try creating a new project using Web Application model and see is I get the same issue.

Best regards and thanks,

Andy
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
The easiest and quickest way to tell is how you add references.  A web application (or project) will allow you to add references just you would for a WinForms or class library project.  Web projects are much better to work with and are more stable.  In VS 2005, Visual Studio went backwards and introduced the Web Site thinking that the implementation and deployment would be easier...they were wrong.  They created an update to bring back the new and improved web application project which is far more stable and easier for distribution. This has been improved even more in VS 2010. 

When you create a web project application, you will select the template from the projects category not the web sites category.

Edited 13 Years Ago by Trent L. Taylor
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
Hi Trent,

Thanks for the explanation.

It was set up as a Web Site. I have created a new Web Project using VS2010 on the same Windows XP machine and get the same problem.

I have will try installing Strataframe on a Windows7 VM and see what behaviour I get there.  I am in Melbourne, Australia hence the delay replying to posts.

Best regards,

Andy
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
Still having problem with the builders:

1. I installed StrataFrame on a Windows 7 Virtual Machine with VS 2008 already installed. Strataframe had not been previously installed on this VM.

2. I was able to run the VB Websample application on this machine after changing the connection string in the Global.asax

3. I created a new BO Library application and created a customerBO using the StrataFrameSample database.

4. I created a filltop100() method for customerBO

5. I created a new Web Application Project.

6. I changed the references from 1.6 to 1.7 in the Web.Config file

7. I added the CustomerBO to the ApplicationBasePage

8. I added a new SF Web Form called customers to the web application.

9. I added CustomerBO.FillTop100() to the page load

10. I made customers.aspx the default page for the project

11. I added a table with 1 row to customers.aspx

12 I added a SF Text box to the row

13 I set the text box BusinessObjectName to boCustomer, BindingField to cust_LastName

14. I ran the application and the text box displayed the expected value

15. I added another table row

16. I added a SF ListView

17. I populated the list view as shown

18. I clicked OK.

19. I got the error shown below.

20. I tried adding a ListBox instead of the ListView and populated it as shown below

21. I clicked OK and got the error below

22. I posted this message and stopped for the night, hoping that there will be a response awaiting in the morning.

TIA

Andy

Attachments
sf1.png (56 views, 91.00 KB)
sf1a0.png (77 views, 94.00 KB)
sf1a.png (86 views, 33.00 KB)
sf2.png (73 views, 36.00 KB)
Edited 13 Years Ago by Andrew Harper
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately I downloaded the hotfix and tried to install on W7. Installer gave message that "The update is not applicable to your computer".

As a further test I added a DropDownList to the form, populated it via the builder, ran the web form and it worked correctly. It would appear that the builders are working for some SF controls and not others.

1. Could you please post an example of the generated HTML for a List Box. I can then try to enter the code manually into the .aspx file  and see what happens.

2. Could you please tell me your recommended configuration for Strataframe Web development? Ie Operating system, VS version, SQL Server version, recommended service packs. I have an MSDN subscription and can build a VM to match your recommendation.

I would prefer to be learning the framework rather than battling VS configuration issues!

Best regards,

Andy
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...