Anybogy using Virtual Machine as development platform?

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi all,
After being hit from time to time with some hardware crashes I am thinking on creating a Virtual Machine with Win7, VS, MS-SQL, SF, etc. to have this as my main dev platform.  I am thinking that in case of hardware crash, it should be fairly easy to recover a VM instead of having to re-install all the tools we use all the time.

I use Virtual Machines to test my applications, but never as the main dev environment, is anybody here using a VM this way?

My choice of VM would be VMware Workstation

I would appreciate any suggestions, comment, licensing issues in this regard.

Edhy Rijo

Edited 13 Years Ago by Edhy Rijo
Andrew Harper
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
Hi Edhy,

I also have typically used VMs for testing rather than as my primary development system, maily due to performance problems.  I do all my development on a Thinkpad T500 running XPsp3. I use the free VMWARE server to run my VMs.

I recently read an article on Jeff Attwood's blog suggesting that one of the biggest improvements you can make running VMs is to ensure that they are on a different spindle (ie HDD) to the host OS. I created a W7 VM on a USB drive and the performance is way superior. I am planning to install a 2nd drive in my notebook just to run VMs.   

HTH,

Andy
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Running in a VM environment isn't the end of the world, but the main thing is to make sure that you have the memory and processing power to accommodate the VM machine.  Recently I have used VMWare 7 which is a great product and supports dual monitors, etc.  This would run client side, but as long as you have a backup of your image you would be good in case of a crash.  This running client side will also improve performance and reduce hardware costs of a big server.

Like anything else, it won't be a good as being 100% local, but in truth, if you have plenty of memory and processing power locally, you most likely will not be able to tell much of a difference.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Andrew, Trent,

Thanks for the comments.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...