How to enable BreakPoint in a DLL

Author
Ger Cannoll
Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I am trying to trace through some of my code. I have all my base classes set up in a DLL and am trying to trace through code.I have a BreakPoint set in the code that creates the DLL (say a messageBox) , the MessageBox displays fine, but the program does not stop and allow me to trace . Any BreakpOintsa I have on the Main program are workong fine..... How do I get BreakPoints to work frm a called DLL ?
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm guessing that you don't have the DLL project included in your solution. This is the easiest way to debug. If you include the project in your solution, you can then just set a break point as you normally would.  Note that if you use C#, there really isn't a disadvantage to just including the project in the solution. VB does some sort of background compile thing that kills you if you have a large solution with lots of projects. Also note that it is completely fine to include a project in more than one solution.

The other way would be to compile the DLL in debug mode (so the debugging info is available), then set the break in you main code just before the DLL code is called (or on the line that calls the DLL code).

Hope that helps!
Tags
Edited 13 Years Ago by Greg McGuffey
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...