RBS Overview

Author
Jon Neale
StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

Pleasestick with me as I have only been looking over the RBS for 24 hours. I have gotto the point where I am stuck in a room on my own and need to try andregurgitate what I think I understand so far, otherwise I am in danger ofconfusing myself even more!

BeforeI start looking at the Framework as a whole I want to evaluate the RBS to seeif it will allow me to do what I need, or perhaps I should say see if I canunderstand it well enough to do what I need. I've had a look at some of the forum entries and help and found the document by CBlanke which taught me more in 10 minutes than I'd learnt in the 10 hours!

I'veassumed I'm using a Stratframe project with security.

Firstly- In the RBS Editor you set up projects in the main StrataFrame database andagainst these projects you create all the Permissions/Keys that you believenecessary for your project. For example against a form you can create apermission to access the form but also to edit, delete and add if so wanted.

Second- Through VS properties you assign the security keys against different objects,Forms, BO's etc.

Froma developer perspective that's what I HAVE to do before deployment.

Third- Add a hook into the Security Editor for the run time application so that theend user can create Roles and Users and assign the pre-defined permissions toRoles.

Andthat's about it.

Coupleof definite questions I have:

1. Currentlywhen I run my application in debug, through VS, I am looking at a differentdatabase, Stratframe Test, which doesn’t include my permissions. My understandingis that if I create a fresh database I can export my RBS Project to thatdatabase using the DDT. Is that correct?
  2. Onething on the security I have is that in the application I need to build I needto implement data level access rights. So for instance, take a Payroll appwhere some users are blocked from seeing specific employees, say Directors orsomething. I think I might be able to do this with the Permissions but I thinkI may need to create lots of them. How would it be best to approach this?
Manythanks for listening to my ramblings and I welcome any feedback even if it's go back and startagain.

Jon

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...