SampleDataInstallerClass

Author
Terry Bottorff
Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am venturing out and I want to try to use the SampleDataInstallerClass. I have run the sample that is out there and it works good with the Strataframe sample data. Now I want to try it on my database and tables.
I have a question. How do you know or set where(directory) the database and tables are created?
TIA
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Terry Bottorff (7/6/2011)
I have a question. How do you know or set where(directory) the database and tables are created?

The database path is configured in SQL Server using SSMS, I am not sure you can change that programatically, but try searching in Google, there may be a script or something that allows you to set that up.

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (766 reputation)
Many of my users have SQL Express installed but not SSMS. I just wanted  to put the Data Base somewhere easier to find. I'll check Google. Is there Anything else I should look out for using this class?
Thanks for the explanation.

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
I found this on Google but have not tried it.
http://gvphubli.blogspot.com/2008/04/default-database-file-path.html

USE [master]
GO
EXEC xp_instance_regwrite N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer', N'DefaultData', REG_SZ, N'D:\SQL_Data'
GO
EXEC xp_instance_regwrite N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer', N'DefaultLog', REG_SZ, N'D:\SQL_Data'
GO 

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (4.5K reputation)
Hi Terry,

Terry Bottorff (7/7/2011)
Is there Anything else I should look out for using this class?

Well, I would say, do a lot of testing with dummy database, until you feel comfortable with the process.  When I started using SF I also was fairly new to MS SQL, so understanding the whole thing and decoupling from Visual FoxPro took some time.  I have been able to modify the installer class to suit my needs and I am very happy with the outcome,  still have a thing or two that I need to review, fix and test, but it is working.

As for the database location, this could get tricky since in most of the cases your database may be the only one SQL instance used by your customers, but in come cases, customer may already have SQL Server installed with other databases, so programmatically changing the default database location could be rude, so I simply let SQL Server do its job and place the data files wherever they are setup to be placed.  I have some customers with MS Small Business Server OS which already comes with SQL server license and a whole bunch of databases.

I always build my applications in the less obtrusive mode, so when they are installed/uninstalled, it should not affect the OS at all and the end user will be happy and of course, less support calls.Hehe

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Great ideas. Thanks. I am just plugging away and everyday is something new and I just keep chugging.
I am wondering if I have the latest version of the installer class. Where should it be or where should I be able to find it?
TIA.
Edhy Rijo
E
Terry Bottorff (7/7/2011)
Great ideas. Thanks. I am just plugging away and everyday is something new and I just keep chugging.
I am wondering if I have the latest version of the installer class. Where should it be or where should I be able to find it?
TIA.

You are welcome.

About the latest version, you should have it, I am not aware of any updates being posted for the last 15 months or so. Crying  Good news is that StrataFrame coded is very solid and reliable so one can continue to work without issues, but yes I do miss the lack of support and new stuff that was promised by the SF Team and now it seems like a very long wait to see new features and updates for SF.

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Alright.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...