How to create index with Included columns

Author
Jiri Brazda
StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi,

is it possible to create an index with included columns using DDT? I can create such index using management studio but I cannot see any possibility to create it with DDT. In case it is not possible - is there any workaround?

Thanks

George
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Jiri,

That functionality is not included in the DDT.  What I am doing is creating a Post-Deploy Script with the TSQL code to add the indexes.  To get the code right, I create the index in Management Studio, then generate a script and copy the data to the DDT script, here is a sample of my script:

/****** Object:  Index [DuplicateImportCheck_idx]    Script Date: 04/07/2010 09:50:41 ******/
IF EXISTS (SELECT * FROM sys.indexes WHERE object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].[TransactionItemsImport]') AND name = N'DuplicateImportCheck_idx')
DROP INDEX [DuplicateImportCheck_idx] ON [dbo].[TransactionItemsImport] WITH ( ONLINE = OFF )
CREATE NONCLUSTERED INDEX [DuplicateImportCheck_idx] ON [dbo].[TransactionItemsImport]
(
    [FK_Vendor_Carrier] ASC,
    [FK_Transaction] ASC,
    [ImportStatus] ASC
)
INCLUDE ( [FK_TransactionItems],
          [FK_Items],
          [CardLotNo],
          [CardSerialNumber])
WITH (PAD_INDEX  = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE  = OFF, SORT_IN_TEMPDB = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, DROP_EXISTING = OFF, ONLINE = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS  = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS  = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

If I remember correctly there is an enhancement request for this feature, but don't know if the SF team will add it.

Edhy Rijo

Jiri Brazda
Jiri Brazda
StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (124 reputation)
Hi Edhy,

thank You for the tip. It is working for me. However - it would be really useful to include this functionality directly to DDT.

Thank You

Best regards

Jiri Brazda 
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Trent,

Will SF Team consider to add the feature of create index with INCLUDE columns to the DDT?

I have been using the Post-Deploy script for this, but I have customers with 37GB database size and re-creating the indexes all the time in the post-script cause a long delay over 2 hours for some customers and I am under the impression that there is a logic in DDT that will only re-create an index, if it is needed to do so, is this assumption right?

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...