New Project .. so many choices

Author
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I was wondering your opinions on the current and future state of developing for the desktop. I had hoped a clear successor to WinForms for developing LOB applications would have started to emerge by now... in my opinion it has not. WPF had some steam, and then Silverlight...then the announcement about HTML5 and CSS being the preferred development platform for Windows 8. Now they did backpeddle at the BUILD event and made it clear that HTML5/CSS was for Metro apps, not LOB.

I have done some very limited stuff in WPF and XAML, BIG learning curve that make me nervous to invest the time in.

WinForms still seems the most productive.

I cannot see the answer being browser driven, not yet at least for hardcore data-centric business apps.

But again does anyone see a path forming for the desktop?

If you had to start a new LOB project right now, heavy on data and functionality, what would you use to develop it?

On a side note has anyone else tried the Windows 8 developer release? Boy I hope that changes A LOT before RTM. It seems like Microsoft is a little lost right now and trying to play catch up with competitors like Apple and Google and tailoring to the masses that wants "apps" and widgets, not "real" business applications.

Keith Chisarik
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Keith,

I’m with you on the confusion on what to use to develop LOB applications. The whole Windows 8 focus seems to be on developing applications for couch potatoes that simply want to surf the web, e-mail, and order stuff from places like Amazon.com.  For  those old enough to remember, Windows 8 and the Metro interface remind me of Microsoft’s  Bob interface. Microsoft does need something for tablets, but tablets are not going to replace every business PC any time soon.  Touch applications are not the type of applications my organization (local government) is developing. My users are still asking for more keyboard shortcuts so they can enter more data faster.

Even with all the announcements from Microsoft it seems to me the only realistic choices for LOB applications is Windows Forms or Web ASP .Net.  For now I’m sticking with Windows Forms using StrataFrame. It works, my staff is comfortable with it, and I have no compelling reason to move to anything else. Windows 8 will support .NET and the bulk of the PCs in my organization are still running Windows XP and will be for some time until our legacy applications,  provided by the State of California,  are updated.  I looked at Idea Blade since they have been pushing Silverlight as the platform for LOB applications, but given the cost and effort to retrain staff and the applications that we have already developed using SF it doesn’t make financial sense to switch.  The only real benefits I can see for web apps are the lack of deployment to the desktop clients and the possibility of running in a thin client environment.  I’ve been using AppLife Update to deploy SF applications so I don’t have any deployment issues and I can’t move to thin clients or even virtual PCs due to legacy app issues I don’t control. The only thing that sort of worries me is that it’s been over a year since there has been a new release of StrataFrame. Trent had posted something awhile back saying we should look for something in March/April 2011 but that didn’t happen. The lack of new releases makes me wonder about MicroFour’s commitment to the product.

-Larry
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi,
I totally agree with Larry.  It is still too early to see how really will Windows 8 and Metro application would benefit LOB applications.

I am pretty happy with the stability and reliability of StrataFrame and at the same time very sad with the lack of support and commitment to this great product.

Edhy Rijo

Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)
Edhy,

I'm glad to know that it's not just me that feels MicroFour's support for SF has slipped. Outstanding support and a very enthused development team were two of the things I really liked when we first licensed it. Ivan still does a great job on the day-to-day support but the last offical new release was in August 2010. My organization has eight development licenses and I'm beginning to question why we should be spending $5,480/year in software renewals/support if the product is not going move forward.

-Larry
Sam Tenney
Sam Tenney
StrataFrame Novice (100 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (100 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (100 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (100 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (100 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (100 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (100 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (100 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (100 reputation)
Hi all,

For what it's worth, in July, 2011 I communicated some of my similar concerns about the future of StrataFrame to Trent.  He reassured me and said "you will begin seeing much more development between now and Christmas."  Like a kid waiting for Christmas, I am excited.

Sam Tenney
Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1.2K reputation)
I also have had similar communications over the past year and do hope to see a road map for this product's future laid out soon. In the meantime, I use SF everyday on many projects and it works fine, no complaints there.

Keith Chisarik
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
I hope we'll all be surprised by Christmas. The great thing is that SF is a solid and stable product. I've got two projects under development right now and another in planning, all using SF. I just kind of miss the excitement and enthusiam of the past.

-Larry
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Well, this will sound very similar, but it is the truth, StrataFrame is a rock solid framework!!! 
I moved all my VFP projects to SF and of course new projects are done in SF.  I have a lot of faith that whatever is going with MicroFour that it will pass soon and we could have a true road map of what is coming next with SF.  There are plenty of enhancement request, specially for the DDT that will make us all happy again. Smile

Edhy Rijo

Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Christmas has come a little earlyBigGrin
Edhy Rijo
E
Larry Caylor (11/10/2011)
Christmas has come a little earlyBigGrin

Indeed Hehe
A lot of good stuff coming out soon with StrataFrame.  For those of you that have not checked the 2012 Roadmap, check it out here http://www.strataframe.net/RoadmapFor2012.aspx finally worth the wait Smile

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...