Any issues with 1.7.3.5 in a multi-developer, multi-SF version environment

Author
Alex Luyando
StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi all. 

So I will find it difficult to not install 1.7.3.5 really soon, and am assuming I will need to allow the StrataFrame database to be installed/updated. Any issues with having other developers running prior versions of StrataFrame and taking their time to upgrade? We have some pretty mission-critical applications and I don't want to break their apps just because I want to be the first kid on the block with the latest release. 

Thanks, and nice having the MF gang back in the saddle. 

Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
I have been using both in different machines at the same time for different purposes. The change on the SF database will be the follow:

http://forum.strataframe.net/FindPost30573.aspx

So I guess you should be fine. And you can always downgrade if you want.
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Alex,

The suggestion Ivan made is a good one.  Just FYI, in StrataFrame 2.0, you will be able to have BOTH version installed since we won't rely on SQL Server for meta-data and bindings.  This is something that we have needed before as well. Wink
Alex Luyando
Alex Luyando
StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)StrataFrame User (184 reputation)
Thanks guys. So I'm reading your posts as saying "prior versions of StrataFrame will still work against a 1.7.3.5-upgraded StrataFrame database."  Clearly I'd prefer if everyone upgrades, but not everyone is an early adapter (and sometimes with good reason). That said seems you guys have always put out read-for-prime-time releases, even when they are marked as beta. 

Thanks. 

Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Well, we have been using this release ourselves for a very long time.  It is solid.  But if you have older projects you want to leave on the older version, then one option would be to create a backup copy of the StrataFrame database and either keep it or create a new one that you upgrade to 1.7.3.5.  This way you can migrate things over a project at a time if you need to and still swap between them using the data source connection for StrataFrame inside of Visual Studio.  But in truth, it is always easier to move everything forward at once.

Backing the DB up is always a good idea though, no matter what! Smile
Alex Luyando
Alex Luyando
Sounds good, Trent. And I'm now reading it as "your older SF apps won't work with the upgraded StrataFrame database" so I will definitely backup the old one and see if we can't get concensous on moving up all at once. 

Alex Luyando
Ugh. So of course having problems with the install! Sad Just sent in request for manual license file, as the Activation Client doesn't like me right now. There was also a problem with the setup stopping at the Deploy Sample Data step... included details in the same email. 

...not off to a good start here... 

Trent Taylor
Just sent you the license file.  As for the sample database, it hasn't changed.  So if you already have it loaded, it will be fine.  If the SF update failed, then that would be something to investigate.  The StrataFlix sample is more robust and what we will build off of in the future anyway.  So you should be good to go once you get your license file.

Just FYI, you can look at the log file that is stored on the install directory to get the error and see why the deployment failed.  I am willing to bet that it was a permissions issue or something along those lines.  Possible a detached MDF or something.  Either way, you should be able to get the error if you want more of a clue on this.
Alex Luyando
Alex Luyando
You da man, Trent. Thanks. 

And you were spot on re: reason for failure during the setup. 

Trent Taylor
Glad you got to the bottom of it, Alex!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...