How to use Strataframe in Multi Developer Environment

Author
lastcanary
StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Let me be as clear as possible.

We are two developers. My boss installed Strataframe on a Windows Server 2003 PC (CPU is 32 bit Core2Duo). He used the Strataframe source code project, modified the source code and build new dlls. He managed to install these new dlls to the server by using a batch file similar to AfterBuild.bat. Everthing is working fine in this PC. The strataframe database is also located in this server.

I installed Strataframe on a Windows Server 2008 R2 PC. The Visual Studio 2010 contains the Strataframe menu.

In order to be able to work with the same project I have to install the new dlls. I took new dlls from him and used a similar AfterBuild.bat to register the new dlls. Here is my AfterBuild.bat:

for %%x in (*.DLL) do "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" -i "%%x" -f
for %%x in (*.DLL) do copy /Y "%%x" "%CommonProgramFiles%\MicroFour\StrataFrame"
for %%x in (*.DLL) do copy /Y "%%x" "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame"

After executing this batch file and try to open Visual Studio 2010 the following error appears:

ArgumentException
  The stream could not be evaluated because the resource could not be located.

Source     : MicroFour StrataFrame Base

Stack Trace:
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.UI.Localization.CreateDataTableFromStream(Stream Input)
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.UI.Localization.RegisterEmbeddedXmlFile(Assembly ContainingAssembly, String FullPath)
   at MicroFour.StrataFrame.AddIns.AddInManager.OnConnection(Object application, ext_ConnectMode connectMode, Object addInInst, Array& custom)

When I close the error, the visual studio starts but without the Strataframe tab. When I try to access a form using the new dlls I get an error:

The specified DataSourceKey [] was not found within the collection.

When I run Strataframe setup and choose modify and repair, I return back to the situation when I first installed Strataframe.

Could you please help us?
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
The message tells you that it can't find the built in Localization keys. I assume you are pointing your StrataFrame Data Store to the one installed on his machine. You should install SF on your machine, get it working, then if his DLLs are working fine after him changing and recompiling the source code, get his DLLs from his "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame" and copy them to yours and drag them to your "C:\Windows\assembly" folder.
lastcanary
lastcanary
StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)StrataFrame User (141 reputation)
Dear Ivan,

Thank you for your reply. I think that I am doing exactly what you suggest. The batch file is copying the dlls to the proper location and by using gacutil I am registering to GAC area. Could you please check the batch file?

for %%x in (*.DLL) do "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bin\NETFX 4.0 Tools\gacutil.exe" -i "%%x" -f
for %%x in (*.DLL) do copy /Y "%%x" "%CommonProgramFiles%\MicroFour\StrataFrame"
for %%x in (*.DLL) do copy /Y "%%x" "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame"

I dont know how to access the data store directly (since the menu is not there) but by using the localization editor I checked that the data store is saved correctly and the localization projects are shown from the original location.

It is very important for us to work together in this project to meet the deadlines but we couldnt be able to manage it.

Could you please help us?
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Before copying DLLs and such, try a plain SF install on your machine pointing to the SQL Server you need. You should be able to get it working with the original install properly, test creating a new Project, things like that. After you get it working, then we go and try copying the other DLLs to your GAC.

After you get it working, then update the DLLs in the GAC. The batch file seemed fine, but I would advice you to do it manually to be sure. Drag the DLLs from one folder to the windows\assembly folder. By the way, you are administrator at your machine, right? To be sure the install goes fine, right click the SF installation EXE and run it as administrator.
lastcanary
lastcanary
Ivan George Borges (11/17/2011)
Before copying DLLs and such, try a plain SF install on your machine pointing to the SQL Server you need. You should be able to get it working with the original install properly, test creating a new Project, things like that. After you get it working, then we go and try copying the other DLLs to your GAC.

After you get it working, then update the DLLs in the GAC. The batch file seemed fine, but I would advice you to do it manually to be sure. Drag the DLLs from one folder to the windows\assembly folder. By the way, you are administrator at your machine, right? To be sure the install goes fine, right click the SF installation EXE and run it as administrator.

I uninstalled strataframe completely and then installed it. It was working perfectly well.

I drag the dlls from one window to another window containing the assembly folder as you have suggested in another post. When I run Visual Studio I noticed that the Dlls are not registered to GAC at all.

I run my batch file again and I am sending you the resulting contents for the assembly folder attached.

Could you please help us? We are totally locked to this issue in our company.

Note: Please take also into consideration that the PC building the dlls has a 32 bit Core2Duo CPU and Windows Server 2003 installed and the PC that we are trying to install has a 64 bit Core2Quad CPU with Windows Server 2008 R2 installed
Attachments
assembly.jpg (84 views, 247.00 KB)
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Try deleting them all from the GAC first, then copy the ones built from the other machine back. Also, copy them to your machines "C:\Program Files\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame" too. In my projects, all SF DLLs reference the DLLs from the Common Files. You could also check that your boss compiled them using Any CPU for the Plataform, you will find that in the Configuration Manager.
lastcanary
lastcanary
I deleted the dlls from the GAC, copied the new dlls to the windows/assembly folder and StrataFrame folder. I am still getting the same error. I am now asking to my boss for the configuration. Any more suggestions?
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
I can't think of anything more specific at the time being. Maybe you could also copy the source code he changed on his machine to your machine and compile it with your Visual Studio.
lastcanary
lastcanary
My Boss told me that he compiled using "any CPU" option.
lastcanary
lastcanary
I copied the source code to my macine and build it, nothing changed, I am stilll getting the same error.

Please help
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...