MS SQL Server 2012 RTM released

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi all,

The new version of MS SQL 2012 has been released.  Among the flavors there is a new LocalDB version which is basically the same Express version not running as a service but as a file base database, so it can be embedded with an application to use the database locally by a single user.

See this link for more information: http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions/express.aspx

Are there any plans from the StrataFrame team to add support for this new LocalDB version and if so when can we expect to see this update?

Edhy Rijo

Alex Luyando(1)
Alex Luyando(1)
StrataFrame Beginner (1 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (1 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (1 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (1 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (1 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (1 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (1 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (1 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (1 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
And to just add to Edhy's ammunition, I'm about to establish a new development environment and am considering SQL Server 2012. I'm assuming StrataFrame won't mind, but would love know for sure before I embark on that really lightning-fast SQL Server setup. BigGrin

TIA
Ger Cannoll
Ger Cannoll
Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)
Hi Edhy.

That would be a good option.

Do you know offhand if LocalDB can be used from a server (or remote Desktop) with a few users?. I have done a few searches but cannot see any definitive answer. Microsoft seem to be suggesting that LocalDB is a Developer's tool, as opposed to being used for End Users. Also it seems that it cannot be depolyed on a Handheld Device (e.g. Windows Phone 7 Android, etc )
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Ger,

I don't know much since I have not installed yet, but here is an excerpt from the link I posted in the first message:
Now in SQL Server 2012 RTM: SQL Server Express LocalDB
LocalDB is a new lightweight deployment option for SQL Server Express Edition with fewer prerequisites that installs very quickly. This makes it ideal for developers who need an embedded SQL Server database for desktop applications or tools. LocalDB has all of the same programmability features as SQL Express, but runs in user mode with applications and not as a service. It is available as part of the SQL Server 2012 RTM download.

Integrated
LocalDB is designed to be bundled with and function as an integrated part of tools or desktop applications that need a lightweight local database runtime. This includes tools like SSDT, or custom developed desktop applications, or tools that need a lightweight single-user database runtime that supports full Transact-SQL functionality.

Simple
Apps that use LocalDB simply open a file. Once a file is opened, you get SQL Server functionality when working with that file, including things like ACID transaction support. The app that opens the file has exclusive use. It’s not intended for multi-user scenarios or to be used as a server. (If you need that, you should install SQL Server Express.)

Easy acquisition
LocalDB is easy to download, install, and manage. It installs as a small shared component instead of a service. To try, simply click the download box on this page for SQL Server 2012 RTM.

Edhy Rijo

Ger Cannoll
Ger Cannoll
Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)
Hi Edhy

Simple
Apps that use LocalDB simply open a file. Once a file is opened, you get SQL Server functionality when working with that file, including things like ACID transaction support. The app that opens the file has exclusive use. It’s not intended for multi-user scenarios or to be used as a server. (If you need that, you should install SQL Server Express.)

This is the bit that concerned me (its not intended for Multi-user scenarios). As most of our users would be MUlti-User (even though on some there might just be two) , if this is the case, I thik its goingto be a Non Starter
Edhy Rijo
E
Hi Ger,

Yeap it looks like LocalDB is for single exclusive user, the application using it, embedded.  It kind of make sense to have it that way, since the express version is multiuser and a service. 
I have a need for this kind of file database, for example I build small applications where I need to store temporary and permanent information and having to install MS SQL Express is a big deal, because sometimes, those computers cannot even support SQL Express installation.  I know of other SF developers that have applications that will run on user's laptops and this LocalDB seems to be the solution, since from the application perspective, it is talking to MS-SQL database, so no changes are required to the application or in our case SF Business Objects, only the connection string would change.

Edhy Rijo

Michel Levy
Michel Levy
StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)StrataFrame User (319 reputation)
I agree with Edhy, there are some specific cases where single user is the way to go.
I think here primarily to the not-allways connected applications on a laptop. For sure it will be the first trial I'll get to the LocalDB (most probably synchronized on an Azure DB)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...