Windows 8

Author
Ger Cannoll
Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi.

Now that Windows 8 has been 'officially' releassed, I am planning to upgrade all my bits and pieces,  and am wondering if any implications for Strataframe

Is SF  ok with Visual Studio 2012

Is SF ok with Sql Server 2012

Is SF ok with Windows 8

Thanks

Gerard
Hugo R. Figueroa
Hugo R. Figueroa
StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)
Well, Strataframe works ok with VS2010 and SQL Server 2012 in Win 7 x64

But I can't get the list to select the binding field in a windows form when using VS2012. I get an error about instance of an object.

I am downloading now Win 8 Pro and in the compatibility check the installer told me that VS2010 is not compatible with Win 8.

When I finish I let you know what happens.
Ger Cannoll
Ger Cannoll
Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (576 reputation)
Hi Hugo. That would be great.

Dont want to start updating if there are going to be major problems !!
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
We will be posting a build in the next 10 days that will have full VS2012 support.  You can make it work now if you want to, but if you want 10 days or so, we will be pushing out a build.
hector
hector
StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (118 reputation)
Hi Trent,

Bytheway, what about StrataFrame 2.0?

2012 is ending.. Wink

Kind regards...

Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
It will not be released in 2012.  We are working on it full time though.  This entire week we have been going over every possible enhancement request that we have heard of for each area to make sure that no valid enhancements are missed.

All will be revealed in time.  But this is a huge release and we will be releasing some new products as well that are not currently available.  We are going to release things in phases, one of the first being the DDT.  We will be updated the website as well as a new blog area so you guys can see the progress.  There will also be some video blogs showing to features, etc.

Stay tuned...we are on it.
Hugo R. Figueroa
Hugo R. Figueroa
StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (119 reputation)
I couldn't reinstall Strataframe on Win 8 Pro . When running Phase 1 of 2 of the Installer, a windows appears telling that the Strataframe Installer has stopped working. I click on close but then the phase 2 of 2 continues installing without problem and finishes as if it installed ok. Then when trying to run the examples module I also get a program stopped working message and it crashes.

When opening VS2010 (it opens despite the fact that the Windows 8 installer told me that it was incompatible) I get a message about Strataframe addin manager failed to load.

I did it using a Microsoft account (Safe PC mode) and using a local account. 
Tried to run it as administrator and in Win 7 compatibility mode, but the same results.

So no luck for now.
Edited 12 Years Ago by Hugo R. Figueroa
Hugo R. Figueroa
Hugo R. Figueroa
Has anybody else tried to install Strataframe on Win 8?

I am still stuck.
Hugo R. Figueroa
Hugo R. Figueroa
After downloading StrataFrame 1.7.6.0 I run it and installed OK.

I could run the samples and everything went right.

Now my projects are ok both in VS2010 and VS2012.

Soooo, as far as I tested, Strataframe 1.7.6.0 works on Windows 8 Pro with SQL Server Express 2012 both in VS2010 and VS2012. 

GOOD!!!!
Edited 12 Years Ago by Hugo R. Figueroa
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
Good to hear, Hugo.

I have been running Windows 8 and VS 2012 for a while and so far there are pros and cons.  There are more cons on Windows 8, such as the ridiculous permission issues.  They are trying to stop viruses, okay I get that, but sheesh, it took a while to get everything lined up where I could work.  I still get the occasional, "Access Denied" and I am a Domain Admin!

As for VS 2012, there are some issues with the colors (too monochrome) that can be corrected with the Theme plug-in for VS 2012.  The pending changes dialog for the Team Explorer is awful....way more energy to work from.  Also, the icons are all the same color and look virtually the same in the Solution Explorer, so it is hard to quickly spot certain code files.

There are some good things about both as well.  I think in the end, both will be far better, but it is like anything else, you have to get things "tweaked" to your liking a bit.

Happy coding!
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...