Error Setting Parent Relationship in designer

Author
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation

I’m getting a “Set Parent Relationship” error message when Itry to set the parent object on a business object instance on a form. I’vechecked to make sure that the relationship has been established on the correctobject in the component designer and have rebuilt the solution a number oftimes.  No matter what I try it can’tseem to find the parent object. The code for the relationship appers to be okin the InitializeComponent sub in the business object’s designer file.  Does any code get added someplace else?

Edited 11 Years Ago by Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)
The title should have been 'Error Setting Parent Object in Designer'
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Larry,

Try the following:
  1. Close VS.
  2. Open it again.
  3. Build the Solution.
  4. Try to assign the Parent BO.

Edhy Rijo

Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Hi Edhy,

Tried that. It doesn't fix the problem.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Larry,

Then you have to review the relationship created at the Business Object Layer (the main class).  Try this:
  1. Reset that relationship to default to remove it and close the BO.
  2. Rebuild the Project
  3. Re-create the relationship, and rebuild project.
  4. Try to assign the Parent BO.

Edhy Rijo

Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Edhy,

Tried that too. Still didn''t fix it. There must be something in the object's designer file or something else I can't see.

I finally worked around the issue by creating a new business object with a slightly different name and replacing the
instance on each of my forms and child forms. The new object worked fine. I'm using VS 2012 and it seems to have more
strange issues than VS 2010. I use the panel manager control a lot and there have been times when VS 2012
"forgets" the controls I've dropped on the pages and I end up having to clean up the form's designer file and
re-drop the controls on the pages. 

-Larry
Edhy Rijo
E
Hi Larry,
Glad you got it working somehow.  Can you please tell us what was the name of the business object?

Edhy Rijo

StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
VS 2012 has many more issues than VS 2010 ever did.  I have found that if you partially type a line of code, leave the document to check something, then return, it kills Intellisense.  You have to close the document and reopen it to get Intellisense to return.  

Out of curiosity, Larry, what were the details of the error message you were getting?  Do you remember the text of the message?
Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
OH MY. I thought I was losing my mind. It really is happening.  I thought my Intellisense was just screwed up. I feel better now.
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Hi Ben,

Screen shot of error message is attached. I've checked the object and the parent relationship is defined. I rebuilt the solution, deleted and re-entered the relationship, restated VS a number of times and I still get the error. Finally I created a new object (ApptWindowBO) mapped it to the same table and replaced the instances of AppointmentWindowBO on my forms with the new BO and everything worked as it should. I'm assuming that something is messed up in the original object's designer file unless the relationship information is being stored someplace else in VS.

-Larry
Attachments
SelectParentError.png (93 views, 22.00 KB)
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...