Windows 8

Author
Michael Reese
StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Is the lastest version of SF and DDT able to run on Windows 8?
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Yes, we have most of our development machine running on Windows 8.  There is some TypeEditor quirkyness in Visual Studio 2012, but it's not related to Windows 8.

Some of the applications you may have to run as administrator for them to have access to the registry keys and such, but everything works.
Michael Reese
Michael Reese
StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)StrataFrame User (305 reputation)
Hey thanks, 

I traced the problem to SF making a connection to SQL 2008 which seems to be related to a login issue which is SQL Server/Windows 8 related. 

Regards
Michael
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
What is the error message it's giving you?  Is it a connection-string related problem?
Michael Reese
Michael Reese
Well, I after I upgraded to Win8, Win8 forced me to change my password. When I attempted to change it back to the same PW, i got an error regarding complexity. What is weird is that the Grp Policy does not require change and complexity is disabled. Win8 does not seem to be referencing it? 

Anyway, when I changed my PW, windows SQL services did not get the memo and SF was using Win Auth as the login so it failed. 

Whew, that was a mouthfull.

Michael 
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.7K reputation)
Yeah, Win8 is far more strict regarding permissions.  There are a few handy things that you may want to consider when dealing with Win8 and Visual Studio.  For starters, as much as I hate it, if you leave UAC on, you will have an easier time with some of the things required by VS2012.  If this annoys you, like it did me, you can also run the "Troubleshoot Compatibility" tool on the devenv.exe in the "...\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE" folder.

If you run VS2012 as an Administrator, it will be more reliable, however, remember that it will be running as a separate session (administrator) so you will have to remap drives, etc.  Like you said, whew... a mouthful. BigGrin
StrataFrame Team
S
So, after restarting SQL Server you can now connect with your new password?
Michael Reese
Michael Reese
Yep, working like a charm. 

Hey thanks for the heads up. I'll be upgrading to 2012 on Win8 next week. Too tired after Win8 upgrade. 

Michael
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...