Force the Selection of a DataBase on a New Installation

Author
Terry Bottorff
Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I use Installaware to make my installation CD's for my SF projects.

Is there a way to FORCE SF to ask which Instance of Sql to use and which Database to use every First time a new installation is run?

The reason I am asking this is because I am trying the installation on a Win 8 machine and it does not ask me for the SQL information.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Terry,

In the SetDataSources() method, you can modify your data source item and enter the name of the database your application is expecting, I don't think you can pre-select the server or the instance to be used.

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (656 reputation)

OK Edhy. Thanks. I been thinking of that but is there a way to select the user and password?

Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
I have not seen any option to pre-select user name and password.

I use MS-SQL server for all my applications, most of the time I have access to my customer's server and even install MS-SQL engine, but if the customer already have a DBA or IT guy, they sometimes will not allow a consultant to log in to their servers, so what I do is that I ask them to use a specific user and password which is then used by each workstation install when SF shows up the connection manager.

Of course, you could go other routes here, like creating your own connection manager server and install it on the server to pass over the connection string to your workstations, this is what the folks at MicroFour have done with their medical application, it is not easy, but doable.

What is your major concern here? what do you want to accomplish?

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
This is my first adventure into using Win 8. I have SqlExpress installed and my database attached. I used my install for Win 7 that works fine for one of my projects. When I ran the project the first time on Win 8 it did not ask me to attach to the data like it does on Win 7 and then when I select a menu item that needs data it can not find it. That is why I thought if I could Force it to go thru the connection routine I would be fine. I really don't want to worry about a connection manager.

So I will try what you mentioned and see what that leads to. If anyone else has any ideas to share? TIA.
Edhy Rijo
E
I understand now.  Since I also use InstallAware v9 R2, let me tell you the setting I use to make my applications run as "Administrators"

From the "Application Information" section, go to
  • "Summary and UAC" and in the "User Account Control, set the "Requested Elevation Level to "Always Elevate (requireAdministator)
  • "Application Requirements", in Special Requirements, check "Administrator priviledges"
I install my applications in a folder in the root drive, I never used the "Program Files" folders, in my case my company name is Progytech and my application is CardTracking.Net, so the installation folder will be C:\Progytech\CardTracking.Net

I have done some testing on Windows 8 and it worked without having to modify SF.

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Oh wow. That gives me some things to try.

Thank you so much. I shall return and let you know.
Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
I am not sure if there was one specific thing (Admin rights or the installation directory) that fixed my problem but the problem is resolved. Thank you Edhy for the great help.

Since you use Installaware also, do you build for Win 7? I have version 2012 and it does not have Win 8 as a choice?

TIA.
Edhy Rijo
E
I glad it worked for you too.

About IA, I am still in version 9, I have not had the need to upgrade mainly because their marketing and upgrade method is very confusing, prices are too high, then many different discounts to apply and still the end price is too high.  I love IA, it is a very good product.

Even though I am not targeting Windows 8 yet, so far I have been able to test my main application on Windows 8 and the current version of IA I have still does the job, I have not tried with .Net 4.5, that would be a challenge. w00t

Edhy Rijo

Terry Bottorff
Terry Bottorff
Boy do I agree that Installaware is a good product but Extremely Expensive. And you are also correct about the discounts. Even after you apply the discounts the cost is over the top.

Thanks again.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...