StrataFrame, VS2012 and Windows 8 64bit

Author
Charles Thomas Blankenship
StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Hey guys (and Trent):

I just purchased a nice, new development laptop but decided to have a mfgr. install Windows 8 64-bit instead of paying $150 extra for them to add Windows 7 64-bit onto it.  I've read what Trent said about having to tweak Win8 a bit (permissions) to get VS2012/StrataFrame to work ... I was just wondering if someone could give me a heads up if StrataFrame/VS2012 will actually work ... and also a clue as to the nature/how of the tweaks I'll have to make so as to make my passage a little more easy.

Thanks,

Charles T. Blankenship
Senior Consultant
Novant Consulting, Inc.
http://www.novantconsulting.com
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Yes, Win 8/VS2012 works fine.  I run that combination on my home machine and Trent runs it here on his work machine.  Most likely, you won't have to do anything.  We have discovered that the less you fight-the-bit on Windows 8, the more it works just fine.  Trent has to run VS2012 as an administrator, but that is only because of the after-build event we have set up on the StrataFrame source code to put the DLLs into the GAC after the project builds.

I don't build the SFv1 source code at home, so I need to run as administrator, and everything works fine.
Danny Doobay
Danny Doobay
StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Can I  change the traget frame work from 2.0 to 4.5 for all the strataframe source code. What is the implication if any? Have anyone done this before.

If some one have a procedure written up, it will help. thank you.

StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
I haven't done it myself, but yes, you should be able to change the target framework to 4/4.5 without a problem.  I'm not aware of anything that won't compile or that will act differently in 4.0.

Now, going backwards isn't advised.  A project targeted at 4.0 can't be changed back to 2.0 because it's probably using all sorts of LINQ, extension methods, async methods, etc. that are only available in the later releases, but moving forward is permitted.
Danny Doobay
Danny Doobay
StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (102 reputation)
I have updated it and its seems like working. If they is any issue will post that information.
Danny Doobay
Danny Doobay
All went well but there is one small issue. I use devexpress v12.2 and using that version I have updated MicroFour StrataFrame Inherited UI. When I drag and drop any control from StrataFrame DevExpress Wrapper and run the form I am getting  the following error"An error occurred creating the form. See Exception.InnerException for details.  The error is: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

To make it simple I drag and dropped GroupControl and ran the form and again same error at CType(Me.GroupControl1, System.ComponentModel.ISupportInitialize).EndInit().

I am not sure why this is happening.

Any suggestion ?
Danny Doobay
Danny Doobay
I tried the same thing with StrataFrame DevEx Demo project and I am getting "Could not load file or assembly 'DevExpress.XtraBars.v10.1, Version=10.1.6.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b88d1754d700e49a' or one of its dependencies". It's looks like when application running it is looking for GAC and in the GAC it is still Dev express Version=10.1.6.0. If this is correct, what should I do?

thanks.
StrataFrame Team
S
The Demo project was most likely compiled against v10.1, so even if you change the reference of the Inherited UI project, the demo project is still going to reference v10.1.

As for the NullReferenceException, I'm not sure off of the top of my head.  What is the stack trace of the InnerException? 
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Danny, Ben,

I use DevExpress 12.2 too and you have to update the "MicroFour StrataFrame Inherited UI" using the DevExpress project converter 12.2.8 then re-build it and it should be OK.

In my case the solution is in this folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroFour\StrataFrame Source Code\MicroFour StrataFrame Inherited UI

Since I use DevExpress all the time and keep up with their updates, I also changed the version number of the "MicroFour StrataFrame Inherited UI" to the same used in DevEpxress (12.2.8.0), that way I always know which one I used.

Edhy Rijo

StrataFrame Team
S
Good call, Edhy.  The project converter might do more than just replace the references.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...