"Procedure already exists" message ...

Author
Charles Thomas Blankenship
StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I'm a little stumped by this one ... just about every time I deploy from the DDT to the development database I usually get a message stating that the SP already exists in the server.  Well, yes, in fact it does ... I'd kind of like you to overwrite it if it is different.

The odd thing is that this does not happen with every stored procedure that already does exist.  The DDT just goes on its merry way either overwriting or ignoring (don't know which) the exiting stored procedure.

Why do some SPs generate this warning and some don't?

In order to get a clean deployment I have to delete those stored procedures the DDT does not like and run the deployment again.

Stumped.

Thanks.

Charles T. Blankenship
Senior Consultant
Novant Consulting, Inc.
http://www.novantconsulting.com
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Charles,

The DDT will create Extended Properties for all is objects "DDT_Priority" and I believe it is using this property to determine if that object was created by the DDT or was manually created by you or some other tool which in that case it will not touch that object and ignore it.

So if you delete all the objects you are getting warning, assuming you have a good backup first, then always made all the changes to your database via the DDT, then you should be OK.  Also another trick I use for quick updates, is to generate and stored procedure script from MSSMS which will also create the Extended Properties and make some quick changes to update a customer, but always go back to the DDT and made those changes there for future update.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...