Webservice with a business object

Author
Ross L Rooker, Sr.(1)
StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Does someone have a sample of using a business object in a webservice?
Tony Charpentier
Tony Charpentier
StrataFrame Beginner (16 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (16 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (16 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (16 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (16 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (16 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (16 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (16 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (16 reputation)
Hello

I can help you in the webservice ,

what kind of sample , are you waiting ?   a dataset serialize or a simple value  ?

ps : i prefer a json service rest instead of webservice, cause json is more light than xml format, in large data case.
Edited 10 Years Ago by Tony Charpentier
Trent Taylor
Trent Taylor
StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (8.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Ross:

It isn't going to be any different using the BO in a web service.  The only difference is that you will want to setup your data sources in the global.asax

1. Make sure that you have a global.asax in your web service project, if not, you can just add one through the "Add New Item"

http://forum.strataframe.net/Uploads/Images/70d5d71e-4d25-4a6f-9836-972a.png
  2. Next, you will want to define your data sources when the application starts up.  The global.asax will have a method called "Application_Start", add your data sources there:

http://forum.strataframe.net/Uploads/Images/1a8bd454-8c9e-4429-8055-b17c.png
  3. Now you are ready to use your BOs in your project.  First, make sure that you have a reference to the assembly that houses your business objects.  You can do this in a Web Service project or JSON, either one.  If this is your first go around, you may want to use a web service to get your feet wet.  If this isn't going to be really high traffic, then the web service will be fine.  JSON is lighter weight, but there is also more wiring required.

Note: You can also just create a web handler which can be even lighter weight than JSON.  I have used web handlers for things like activation servers and really high traffic servers.  I create my own EDI format and then serialize it back and forth between the client and server, and you can't get any lighter since I am 100% in control of every byte being transmitted.

4. Create a new web service (MyWebservice.asmx).  Then create a web method and use your BO:

[WebMethod]
    public string MyTestWebMethod()
    {
      using(MyBO bo = new MyBO())
      {
         bo.FillWithWhatever();

//-- Do whatever you need to do

//-- Return the results
         return bo.MyFullName;
      }
    }

Ross L Rooker, Sr.(1)
Ross L Rooker, Sr.(1)
StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)StrataFrame Novice (112 reputation)
Thanks Trent. Worked like a charm.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...