StrataFrame and The Parameter Object (a must read)

Author
Charles Thomas Blankenship
StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
You will want to read this (at least I think you will)!

Recently I was presented with a problem ... I needed to create methods on a BO that generated two different appointment types ... the functionality of each had to be surfaced at many different locations within the WinForms application (on forms with differing interface components) as well as within the WebForms component of the app.

The initial implementation was more difficult to understand and as a consequence, harder to maintain, than it should be.

Enter my experience working at Flash Creative Management for Yair Alan Griver, with Visual FoxPro.  The means of passing parameters in VFP was a pain ... just like it can be in .NET.  So, in order to simplify the signatures of all methods within all business objects in our VFP applications, we created something called The Parameter Object.

Here is a white paper that illustrates how to create that same functionality within a StrataFrame application:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tll9852u5w6pt02/StrataFrameAndTheParameterObject.docx
  • easier to understand
  • easier to maintain
  • more adaptable to change
  • accomplishes the functionality using a smaller code base 
  • with little or no additional burden placed upon the programmer
Enjoy!

Charles T. Blankenship
Senior Consultant
Novant Consulting, Inc.
http://www.novantconsulting.com
GO