Testing flag routing to Testing Database

Author
Charles Thomas Blankenship
StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Where is the best place to put a flag that switches the DataSourceKey from the actual database ("Crucible" in this case) to a testing database ("CrucibleTesting").

I tried placing it in the Constructor of the Base Business Object like so ... but it is still routing to the production database:

public BaseBusinessLayer():base()
{
   InitializeComponent();
   if (CommonCalls.AppConfig.IsTesting)
   {
      DataSourceKey = "CrucibleTesting";
   }
} 

Charles T. Blankenship
Senior Consultant
Novant Consulting, Inc.
http://www.novantconsulting.com
Charles Thomas Blankenship...
StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)StrataFrame User (350 reputation)
I know there is an example application that shows how to use the connection manager (launches a dialog) to change the DataSource but I can't find it anymore.

Charles T. Blankenship
Senior Consultant
Novant Consulting, Inc.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Charles,

I handle that via the Connection Manager in which I create connections for different databases and servers to test live data from my customer's database directly.

I have a menu item in my DevExpress Ribbon menu to do this, here is the vb code:

''' <summary>
    ''' Sets the database connection
    ''' </summary>
    ''' <remarks></remarks>
    Private Sub SetDatabaseConnection()
        '-- Check security for this module
        If Not Basics.HasPermission("Database Connection") Then
            Exit Sub
        End If

'-- Show the connection dialog and allow a connection to be selected
        If MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.ConnectionManager.ShowAvailableConnectionStrings() Then
            '-- Since a connection was selected, then all of the existing dialogs need to be closed
            '   since their connection is established to the original source.
            For Each loForm As Form In Me.MdiChildren
                loForm.Close()
                loForm.Dispose()
            Next

'-- Force the connections to be reset
            MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.ConnectionManager.SetConnections()

'-- Set the Connection label on the status bar
            Me.RibbonControl_MainForm.Items("sbConnectedToItem").Caption = "Connected to: " & GetApplicationActiveConnectionStringTitle(ConnectionManager.ApplicationKey, "")
        End If
    End Sub

The code does not handle all possible validations to test if a form could not be closed because I normally don't allow access to the end users to choose the connection, this is done by me or somebody else I assign to handle this.

Enjoy!!!

Edhy Rijo

Charles Thomas Blankenship...
Thanks ... I knew it had something to do with the ConnectionManager ... just couldn't remember ...

Charles T. Blankenship
Senior Consultant
Novant Consulting, Inc.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...