Problem Distributing SF App

Author
William Fields
StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
> Try copying the SF dlls to the same directory

Bingo, that did it.

Is there anyway to make the DLL's visible to the EXE regardless? Is there a project reference/setting that can be added to the EXE that will tell it to find the DLL's in a particular local folder?

Thanks!
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi William,

You have to understand how dot net will look for the assemblies when loading, you can search the MSDN for more complete answer, but basically, your .EXE will do this:
  1. Look for required assemblies in the same folder as the .EXE
  2. If not found, then it will look in the GAC.
Using GAC has some tricky issues based on the version of the assemblies, so I have been using my .EXE folder instead and never had issues when releasing updates to my applications.

Glad it is working for you now.

Edhy Rijo

William Fields
William Fields
StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)
You're right Edhy.

I'm still straddling the world of VFP/.NET.... Our VFP application just underwent a SQL database backend replacement and this SF app is being used to maintain/update the SQL database. So, I'm still pretty green as far as .NET application runtime knowledge.

Thanks for your help.

Bill
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...