Problem Distributing SF App

Author
William Fields
StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hello,

I've customized the SampleDataInstallerClass solution and now need to build a Setup.exe for distribution.

I've created an InstallShield basic MSI project and have included the following:

SQLSMOMergeModule.msm (not sure what files are included and where they end up)

In the [CommonFiles]\MicroFour\StrataFrame\ folder I'm including these files:

MicroFour StrataFrame Base.dll

MicroFour StrataFrame Business.dll

MicroFour StrataFrame DBEngine.dll

MicroFour StrataFrame UI.dll

[update] I mistakenly listed the inherited UI DLL instead of the base UI

When I install these via the compiled Setup.exe, the files end up on the target workstation, but the SampleDataInstallerClass EXE does not run. When I launch it, I see the EXE in task manager for a second or two, then it goes away.

What I'm missing?

Thanks.

Bill
Edited 10 Years Ago by William Fields
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
It looks like you're missing MicroFour Strataframe UI.dll, Inherited UI.dll is the DevExpress control wrapper. For testing I'd first install the application on the target workstation using the file copy method to make sure I have everything required to run the application. Once everything was working I'd go back and create an MSI.

-Larry
Edited 10 Years Ago by Larry Caylor
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi William,

Also, besides Larry's comment, I always install all my assemblies in the same folder as the application instead of using the GAC or any other common folders, etc.

Having all assemblies in the same folder as the application will allow you to test as suggested by Larry.  Also it is good to have a clean virtual machine to do your setup test.

Edhy Rijo

William Fields
William Fields
StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)StrataFrame User (134 reputation)
My mistake, the MicroFour StrataFrame UI.dll is actually what's being installed.
William Fields
William Fields
This Setup.exe doesn't have an "application" folder, it's just being used to install the SF DLL's and SMO's needed to run the SampleDataInstallerClass EXE on the workstation.

The application EXE will be run from a network location.
William Fields
William Fields
One more thing, the application EXE does run on a workstation with the SF development environment.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi William,

I build the SampleDataInstallerClass into my application's main assembly (.exe), and I don't run anything from a network patch since some .NET programs may need custom security settings to be able to run from a network path.

I install my application locally in each workstation and my logic is that any workstation can update the database structure from the main application which I control access to it via the RBS.

Edhy Rijo

William Fields
William Fields
When I copy the application EXE to the local desktop, I'm getting the same results, the process shows up in task manager for a few seconds, then goes away.
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Try copying the SF dlls to the same directory location where you have your exe files on a local non-development system.

-Larry
Edhy Rijo
E
This is part of the code to run my version of this class, in my case DataProgress.vb

Dim
 DDTPackageName As String = "InsuranceBrokerSystemDDT.pkg"
Dim DDTPackagePassword As String = "MyPassword"
Dim loDataUpdateProgress As New DataProgress(MicroFour.StrataFrame.Data.DataLayer.DataSources("").ConnectionString(), DDTPackageName, DDTPackagePassword, DataDeploymentOptions)
loDataUpdateProgress.TopMost = True
UpdateDatabase = loDataUpdateProgress.ShowDialog()
loDataUpdateProgress.Close()
loDataUpdateProgress.Dispose()

Please post the code you are using show the form?

Edhy Rijo

Edited 10 Years Ago by Edhy Rijo
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...