Moving Development to a New Machine

Author
Buffie
StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
I want to move my Development to a new Computer. I unfortunately will not have all of the hard drives available that I did on my old machine.
So, I know that I can just copy my Projects over to the new machine and load them, but, will I be able to move my Data Deployment files over and not lose them?
I don't want to have to redo my database configurations since I use the Database Deployment Toolkit to configure my BO's. 
The reason I ask is because that last time I moved machines it seems like I had to redo all the the mappings and I don't want to do that if I can help it.
TIA for any help in this area.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Terry,

All StrataFrame metadata is stored in the MS-SQL database StrataFrame.mdb/ldb, make sure you backup your database then restore in your new new computer and you should be ok.

About backup, there is a nice free software I use to do quick MS-SQL backups called SQL Backup and FTP at http://sqlbackupandftp.com/, you can use it to backup and restore your MS-SQL Databases.

Good luck!!!

Edhy Rijo

Buffie
Buffie
StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)StrataFrame User (263 reputation)

Thank you so very much. I can do that. Also, thank you so much for the link. I will look into that.
Buffie
Buffie
Do I have to change any subdirectories in any of the fields?
Do I have to put the already created deployment files anywhere or can I just recreate those?
Thank in Advance....
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Terry,

The answers to your questions really depend on your environment.  In a VS Solution and projects some path may be relative while other are hard coded, specially for the assembly references and any other image or external files you may be using.

I personally use 3 hard drive structure always mapped with the same letter, C:\ D:\ and E:\  all my projects are in drive E:\, so whenever I upgrade my computer I end up reinstalling all programs that needs to be reinstall like VS, SQL-Server, etc, but my projects will always be in the same path in drive E:\

Hope this help, but bottom line, you may need to do some adjustments to path in your projects.

Edhy Rijo

Buffie
Buffie
Thanks for the info. I thought maybe that was the case. I will start that next week but just trying to get as much info as possible before I start.
Thanks.
Edhy Rijo
E
Buffie (1/24/2015)
Thanks for the info. I thought maybe that was the case. I will start that next week but just trying to get as much info as possible before I start.
Thanks.

No problem Terry, ask as many questions as you want.  I've been there and it could be intimidating, but good planning lead to good results at the end.  Don't panic, review references path and be ready to get many errors from VS if some of those references are not found, take a deep breath and remove/re-assign those references if needed.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...