Enhancements for SF 2.0

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi Ben, Trent,
For the upcoming SF 2.0 I would like to see more flexibility on using BO, Localization and DDT metadata as the base for new projects.

Ex:
  • Been able to create a new Localization Project based on a current one and not having to resort on copying messages one by one or hacking the current SF database.
  • For the DDT, I would like to be able to copy all objects like Entities, Views, SProcs, etc. into a new database.
  • Same thing for BOs, in which I can simply copy a project.
The whole idea is to been able to startup a new application project based on a current one.

Thanks!!!

Edhy Rijo

StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Developers
Howdy Edhy,

1. Messages are part of the VB or CS project now.  You add a new file type for a LocalizationContainer and it has the messages in it.  Copying them over is as simple as copying the .sfl and child .Designer.vb/cs file to the new project.  Also, the messages are strong-typed, so if you reference you're assembly you can get to the messages without copying them or needing to use the "register localization xml file" stuff.
  2. The DDT content is all file-based.  All data is stored in XML files, so copying a DDT profile is just copying the folder on disk like you were copying a VB or CS project.
  3. Entities are also stored in XML as part of the VB or CS project.  So this is the same as copying a localization container, you just use the "Add Existing Item" in your new project and open the .sfe, .cs/vb, .Designer.cs/vb, and Collection.cs/vb files that are all grouped together in the Solution Explorer.
There is no StrataFrame database this time around.  Everything is either stored in XML files either as part of your project or in a folder on disk.  The primary reason we went that route is for version control.  Branching of code is a bugger with the DDT stored in the database and it's much simpler and more reliable to have your version control (TFS, Subversion, GitHub, SourceVault, etc.) handle the branching and differencing than having us write it from scratch in SQL.

It's also much cleaner to work from remote, and arguably easier to have multiple people working on a project together.
Jericho Johnson
Jericho Johnson
StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)StrataFrame Beginner (17 reputation)
Ben,

This is music to my ears!

Are we any closer to getting our hands on it?

Thanks.
Edited 9 Years Ago by Jericho Johnson
StrataFrame Team
S
StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)StrataFrame Developer (3.5K reputation)
Hmmm... yes.

We've come up with a final roadmap for what needs to be completed before we release the entities and localization to Beta.  It's significantly shorter than I expected.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (3.7K reputation)
Hi Ben,

Great news indeed Smile
I am very happy to see that you guys do away with the StrataFrame database to store these metadata and better yet, been able to use it for creating new projects in which I may need 75% of my current BOs, I am currently in that process and it is very painful having to re-create the BO metadata that I already worked on in another project.

About the messaging, I use them all the time and currently storing the XML files in my project, have them as part of the application strongly typed, it is a huge step forward.  I love it already.

One clarification, so when working with another developer, if I create a new BO entity in my computer, then all I would need to do is check-in that class, so it will be available for other developers, right?

Edhy Rijo

StrataFrame Team
S
Correct, Edhy.  Check in your changes and the other person just needs to get the latest version.
Olivier
Olivier
StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)StrataFrame User (190 reputation)
Hello Ben,

Do you know for the enhancement SF 2.0 , in asp.net, if you store again Business Object in Session Variable ? or you make like Entity Framework ?

thanks for information.

==============================================
Asp.net C# - Strataframe - telerik
==============================================
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...