Windows 10 Upgrade ...

Author
Charles Thomas Blankenship
StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
... I thought ... what could it hurt?  Well, it seems it was pretty much seamless until I tried to drop a StrataFrame label onto a form and, instead of landing on the form it appeared in the section below the form where the business objects usually appear as the BO's do not have a visual component to them.

Am I going to have to reinstall Windows 7 to get back to my old, rock solid development environment or is there a quick fix that Micro4 can provide to make this very annoying problem go away, since, as it stands right now, over 40% of the StrataFrame controls are unusable in a Windows 10 environment with Visual Studio 2012.

Thanks,

Charles T. Blankenship
Senior Consultant
Novant Consulting, Inc.
http://www.novantconsulting.com
Buffie
Buffie
StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
My labels started showing up down there today also? I can not even edit them?
Charles Thomas Blankenship...
StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)StrataFrame User (176 reputation)
Yep ... I cannot click on them on the design surface.

If I create a brand new StrataFrame application and drop an SFLabel on the design surface, the label automatically appears in the area where the BOs go.  

When I converted my existing project, the labels remained on the design surface but I am unable to edit them either.

I wish I'd followed the old adage "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

CT

Charles T. Blankenship
Senior Consultant
Novant Consulting, Inc.
Edited 8 Years Ago by Charles Thomas Blankenship
Buffie
Buffie
StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)StrataFrame User (195 reputation)
Exactly what happened to me and is happening to me. UG!!!!!
On the offhand chance I can figure this out I'm diving into the StrataFrame controls now and comparing and contrasting the Interfaces implemented and methods/events processed/executed by the button and the combo box.  The combo box is dropping onto the form fine while the button control is dropping into the "Non-visual Design Area" for a lack of a better term to call it.

I'm not hopeful but one never knows.

The one thing that does have me truly frightened is if this upgrade now causes the same thing to happen when I blow my PC away and re-install Win7Pro.  I'm testing that out now with a VMWare install of 7.

It's got to be a simple answer ... just has to be ... albeit hard to find.  Trent and Ben will show up shortly I'm sure.

CT

Charles T. Blankenship
Senior Consultant
Novant Consulting, Inc.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)
Hi guys,

I don't know what is happening to both of you, but I have been using SF with Windows 10 and VS2015 since VS2015 was released.

There were some updates for SF that Ben had to do in order to fix issues with VS2015 and the way SF look into the VS project for BO classes, etc.

Couple of things to try:
  • After upgrading to Windows 10, re-install SF.
  • Make sure your VS is run as "Administrator"
  • Make sure you have the latest version of SF, mine is still version 1.7.7.1, you may have the same version but with different bits, so I would suggest you re-download and re-install SF, or contact Ben Chase.
Lastly, during my upgrades to Windows 10 and VS2015, I never experience the issues you are having with the labels.

Edhy Rijo

#1 did the trick ... I thought it was OK just to recompile ... it was not.

What is 1.7.7.1 ... are there any worthwhile benefits to upgrading over 1.7.6 (which is working perfectly for me as far as I know).

Thanks,

CT

Charles T. Blankenship
Senior Consultant
Novant Consulting, Inc.
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)
Hi Charles,

Charles Thomas Blankenship (6/4/2016)
#1 did the trick ... I thought it was OK just to recompile ... it was not.

What is 1.7.7.1 ... are there any worthwhile benefits to upgrading over 1.7.6 (which is working perfectly for me as far as I know).

You are welcome and I am glad it work.  Windows 10 is pretty good and stable and there should be no reason for you to go back to Windows 7.

About version 1.7.7.1, as far as I remember is basically adding support to Visual Studio 2015.  SF code is pretty solid, I use it everyday and for my current applications out there, they simply work, I added some code to my applications to send me an email whenever there is an exception (crash) and the only ones I get are not related to SF code failing. 

Now I can't wait to get my hands on the new business object in version 2 once available this year.  I have seen a sneak preview and they are awesome.  No need for the StrataFrame database, metadata is stored in XML files as part of the BO class (like forms or report classes), no need to rebuild partials on BO since they are just saved and updated, will be able to use the new BO to bind it practically with any 3rd party control like DevExpress grids, reports, etc.

Edhy Rijo

Edited 8 Years Ago by Edhy Rijo
Buffie
Buffie
I did reinstall since I had a hard drive fail and so all is new. I am not sure about the latest 1.7.7.1 thou. I will try that. But I have been copying my projects back and forth from my laptop to my desktop for quite some time with 10 installed. I have not had an issue until Friday....
Edhy Rijo
E
Hi,
Whenever I notice weird behavior in Visual Studio, I close it and re-start it again. 

What version of VS are you using?

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...