Logical Lock on business process

Author
Andrew Harper
StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)StrataFrame User (164 reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users
Hi,

I  am wondering if/how other users have implemented a logical lock mechanism in their applications to prevent more than 1 user accessing a business process at the same time?

We did this in VFP by locking a record with a process specific key value in a designated table. If the lock succeeded we recorded the user name and datetime the lock was placed and proceeded with the process.
If the lock failed we showed the user who had the lock, when it was placed and prevented the user from proceeding with the process.

I realise that SQL does not have the same locking mechanism as VFP.  SAP has a locking mechanism to handle this sort of situation but we do not need that level of functionality.

Our immediate requirement is to prevent an business process being started if it has already been started by someone else. I will probably go down a similar route as we did with VFP  but just wondering if there was a better way to do this?

TIA

Andy

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Threaded View