StrataFrame v1 custom Setup without pre-requisites for Windows 10

Author
E
StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame Users

Official SFv1 installation setup requires at least Visual Studio 2012 to be installed in order to continue with the installation, this custom setup bypasses this requirement and will simply install the latest available version at the time of this setup in your computer with Windows 10 or any other OS without checking for any version of Visual Studio or any other pre-requisites.

After installation is completed, you still will need to do the following:

1. Activate your license with StrataFrame.
  2. Manually attached or restore the StrataFrame.mdf database or any other sample database you are using.
  3. Be aware that SFv1 store some registry keys in HKLM, so for that it is required that this setup and Visual Studio are run “As Administrator” to complete the SFv1 configuration.

This setup will re-create the SFv1 Shortcuts for DDT, RBS Localization Message Editor and License Activation.

I have tested it only on Windows 10 64bit, it should work under other versions, but if you have a problem, please email me via the forum and I will do my best to troubleshoot it and post an update.

Please download from this StrataFrameSetup_v1.7.7.1.zip

Edhy Rijo

Edited 3 Years Ago by Edhy Rijo
Edhy Rijo
E
StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (2.7K reputation)
Be aware of Windows 10 upgrade "Windows Creator version 1703, for some weird reason, StrataFrame assemblies will be unregistered from GAC and SF will not load properly and VS will throw the following error message:
'The MicroFour_StrataFrame_PackagePackage'. package did not load correctly

The solution is to re-register all assemblies via the Visual Studio Command Prompt running "As Administrator", just paste the commands below and SF should work just fine.

gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame AddIns.dll" /f
   gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility.dll" /f
   gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Base.dll" /f
   gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Business.dll" /f
   gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame DBEngine.dll" /f
   gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Infragistics Wrapper.dll" /f
   gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Inherited UI.dll" /f
   gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Lzma.dll" /f
   gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Security.dll" /f
   gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame UI Expanded.dll" /f
   gacutil.exe /if "%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame UI.dll" /f

Edhy Rijo

Keith Chisarik
Keith Chisarik
StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)StrataFrame VIP (1K reputation)
I seriously love you for posting this.

On Win10 Pro this update identifies as "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703" and completely hoses SF on VS2017.

The fix above had me running in 3 seconds after WAAAAAY too long messing with it.

THANK YOU!!!!

Keith Chisarik
Edhy Rijo
E
Hi Keith,

I am so glad this was able to help you as well.Hehe

Edhy Rijo

Edhy Rijo
E
Well, it looks like every new Windows 10 Feature Upgrade will trash StrataFrame assemblies registration, so with the recent Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, StrataFrame will stop working and we will have to re-register all the assemblies again.

My original solution posted here will still work, but I got a bit lazy and instead of copy/paste each gacutil command I created a list file with all the assemblies "SFAssemblyList.txt" and call it as follow from a Developer Command Prompt for VS 2017 running "As Administrator":

gacutil /f /il "C:\SFAssemblyList.txt"

Attached is the SFAssemblyList.txt  and just in case, here is the content of the file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroFour\StrataFrame\Assemblies\MicroFour License Base.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame AddIns.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Base.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Business.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame DBEngine
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Extensibility.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Infragistics Wrapper.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Inherited UI.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Lzma.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame Security.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame UI Expanded.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MicroFour\StrataFrame\MicroFour StrataFrame UI.dll

Edhy Rijo

Attachments
SFAssemblyList.txt (194 views, 1.00 KB)
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (736 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (736 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (736 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (736 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (736 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (736 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (736 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (736 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (736 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Thought I'd post my experience with an update to  Windows 10 Enterprise version 1709 build 16299 in case anyone else runs into the same problem. After Windows update did its thing for about an hour, I re-registered the SF assemblies as Edhy outlined above. However when I tried to access the Database Deployment kit from the SF menu, I got a popup saying that the Database Deployment kit had stopped working. Thinking that somehow SF wasn't active I tried to run the activation program and got a popup saying that Activate had stopped working. Looking at the Windows Application log I found the following:

Faulting application name: Activate.exe, version: 1.7.7.1, time stamp: 0x52d45177
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.16299.15, time stamp: 0x2cd1ce3d
Exception code: 0xe0434f4d
Fault offset: 0x001008b2
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13
Faulting package full name: %14
Faulting package-relative application ID: %15

I was just about to open a help request on the forum when I decided to uninstall SF and re-install. Whatever the update messed up was fixed by the re-install. I used Edhy's install package since I only have VS2015 and 2017 installed on my system.
Edhy Rijo
E
Hi Larry,

I am glad the custom setup worked for you in this case as well.

Basically all issues are related to proper registration of the assemblies which require "Adminstrator" rights to be registered.

Edhy Rijo

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...