Compound Foreign Key

Author
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation

I’m having a problem deploying a database with a compound foreign key relationship. DDT will allow you define two relationships to set up the foreign key relationship between tables TableAxTableB and TableC in the attached example but fails when you try to deploy it.

-Larry

Attachments
fktest_results21.txt (165 views, 3.00 KB)
fktest.pkg (142 views, 12.00 KB)
TestDB.doc (142 views, 83.00 KB)
Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)Advanced StrataFrame User (880 reputation)
This is still an issue in the current version. While the DDT will let you define multiple relationships to implement a compound foreign key, the DDT will not deploy it. Also if you try to import a database with a compound foreign key, the DDT will only import the first relationship it sees. 

In the past I've worked around this issue by adding a surrogate integer PK to the parent table that results in a single relationship to the child table but this introduces other issues that Id like to avoid.

Attached is a simple ER diagram illustrating the relationship I'm trying to implement (relationship 5) in the diagram and a screen shot of the DDT error when trying to deploy.

Attachments
DDTError.png (86 views, 41.00 KB)
SampleDB.png (96 views, 15.00 KB)
Ivan George Borges
Ivan George Borges
Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)Strategic Support Team Member (2.8K reputation)
Group: StrataFrame MVPs
Hi Larry.

I am having a look at this with the guys.

Larry Caylor
Larry Caylor
ping...
Greg McGuffey
Greg McGuffey
Strategic Support Team Member (2.7K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I checked with Trent, et al and this apparently got overlooked. It is now on the todo/to-test list. I'll let you know when I get more information.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...